back up

zebbydog 09:18 14 Mar 04

I have a 80gb external usb2 hd and want to copy my c drive to it so i can plug into another pc and use the programs off it.
Is this possible and what software do i need.

I have done a backup with windows own tools to the drive but it is only suitable for backup and you cannot see or use the files on it.

Unfortunately most programs will not be so easily portable. some small standalone utilities will work but most applications rely on stored settings in the registry, application data folder, local settings and the windows directory etc. so you will not be able to quickly move from one pc to another in the way you describe ( we wont mention the legal aspects)

toptom3 10:02 14 Mar 04

why not format ur usb hd with windows os and then instal backup

ianeon 10:13 14 Mar 04

I use a programme called "winbackup" from click here which is simple to use and has an "idiots" guide it will do what you want

swampy123 10:33 14 Mar 04

Do you want a complete copy of your hard drive or just some of the programmes. if you want a complete copy have you tried a ghost programme.

byfordr 10:34 14 Mar 04

The maxtor externals come with Dantz software which does the job (Dantz® Restrospect® Express)

click here

zebbydog 10:56 14 Mar 04

Do you mean load the os on to the external hd

swampy123 Tried Ghost and get error message will not read usb keyboard & mouse drivers warning but both work ok.

byfordr Have a western digital hd no software like Maxtor

Mango Grummit 12:24 14 Mar 04

Your OS will not work from an external usb drive.

Now you will probably get people say that it can. They have before! We had a long thread on it once where one or two people insisted it could be done but I still believe it is not possible for the reasons I gave previously.

If you get it to work though, please let us know.

regards, M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…