Babylon search engine problem

Thereferee21 20:11 PM 28 Jan 13
Answered

How do I get rid of the above so that I can go back to using Google as my search engine.

SillBill 20:21 PM 28 Jan 13
  rdave13 20:22 PM 28 Jan 13

Full info here. Only use HitmanPro if needed. You have a trial time and if you don't want to purchase you will have to unininstall. Malwarebytes is free if you don't accept the trial time for Pro on installing.

Another good one is SAS free, click here, especially good when ran in safe mode.

rdave13 20:24 PM 28 Jan 13

SillBill , your link didn't break... :)

SillBill 20:29 PM 28 Jan 13

rdave13

I noticed that! Wonders will never cease!

Thereferee21 19:05 PM 29 Jan 13

I have looked for Babylon through all my programmes and cannot find it.

SillBill 19:37 PM 29 Jan 13

Which browser are you using?

Thereferee21 18:59 PM 30 Jan 13

IE 9

SillBill 19:03 PM 30 Jan 13

This is how to uninstall from Internet Explorer > http://www.babylon.com/uninstall_search/explorer

Thereferee21 19:15 PM 01 Feb 13

I have tried this but cannot find Babylon listed anywhere on my laptop.

michaelw 08:37 AM 02 Feb 13
Answer

This thing is a virus. I don't say that lightly but it replicates itself. I got it when I installed a DivX update. I purposely and carefully did not tick any of the boxes to install their crapware but it installed anyway.

I tried for 3 days to get rid of it, using all the various ways suggested, and more. In the end the only way to get rid of it from firefox was to save all my favorites as an html file, uninstall firefox and ticked the box to not save any settings. When I reinstalled ff it was gone.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things