Ayone heard of vitalregistration.com

John B 09:59 28 Jun 03

After visiting a local cycle shop website (richardsbikes.com)my computer displayed a message from vitalregistration.com telling me that my ISP (whsmithnet2) had gone bust and I would no longer be able to send or receive Emails or look at any other web page until I registered with them by clicking on a button on the page.

I chose not to do this, but restarting the computer resulted in the same page being displayed. After clearing the history and deleting all cookies the problem has gone away.

My firewall tells me I was attacked twice.

Is it likely the cycle website was responsible for this episode? Or should I have signed up?

Cheers

John

VoG II 10:12 28 Jun 03
  TechMad 10:18 28 Jun 03

You may want to see the latest "Breathe" forum thing in the Consumer Watch.

The cycle website has nothing to do with this. Its just that the message occured at the same time.

John B 10:24 28 Jun 03

I feel a bit stupid now! thanks very much indeed.

John

Forum Editor 10:28 28 Jun 03

and puzzling.

My first reaction to this was that it was a scam - such messages often are. On checking with whsmithnet however I find that they are no longer accepting new registrations, so the plot thickens.

I put a call into the WHSmith press office, who tell me that they don't know whether the information is correct or not, which is a tad worrying ........they're calling me back, so watch this space.

Legolas 10:33 28 Jun 03

It seems to explain it here click here

Forum Editor 10:35 28 Jun 03

I spotted it a moment after my post, and in fact the smithnet press office have just confirmed that all is well - it's Affinity Internet Ltd who provided the whsmithnet service, and they ceased trading in April. Hence the confusion.

seedie 10:38 28 Jun 03

I did their upgrade? yesterday. Worked ok but I don't like their desk top icon.

In addition the site VoG points us to keeps quoting
a number which I believe is 50p/min which is a bit rich. At the moment I'm trying to work out the new dial-up number for their 24/7 access so I can set it up myself
If anyone knows it I be grateful etc.

CD

Tenner 10:56 28 Jun 03

Check this out click here , excuse me if it's a repeat ( haven't too much time to check ) The clue came when I followed the link supplied there for net4nowt.co.uk (?) and went to click here and read their warning - subsequent phone call confirmed something was wrong at Affinity.

Firenet seems to have a comparable offer for 24/7 and a tech help line on a non-prime rate number

Hope this helps

My regards

seedie 14:31 28 Jun 03

This download thingy makes a new directory in

\program files\visp

A hex dump of a file called diaplan.new reveals the dial up number. (i'm using it now)

A note to me if you want it.

CD

seedie 14:57 28 Jun 03

the cheeky watsits have altered the 'net setup to make VISP the default connection and then blanked out the make default button and changed my home page from blank to Breathe.com and the connection speed is 33k

I remember liberties like this with Thefreeinternet, and ended up talking to the trading standards about them.

CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now