AWARD BIOS upgrade

Quilljar 09:40 16 Aug 05

After 3 years I am proposing to upgrade my bios. I have bought the relevant upgrade from esupport.com and now have two floppies with the flash upgrade and stuff.

Is it OK to alter my present bios to enable me to boot from the floppy?

How problematic is this actvity if I make a hash of it?

Can anyone point me to a step by step set of dirctions on how to do this?

Strawballs 09:51 16 Aug 05
  Stuartli 10:05 16 Aug 05

Why have you bought the Bios upgrade from esupport.com?

This is American practice and you should be able to obtain a Bios update quite easily and free of charge from the website of your motherboard's manufacturer.

Stuartli 10:10 16 Aug 05

Your motherboard's manual will fully detail what is necessary to update the Bios but remember, if you get it wrong, you may have a motherboard that is no longer fit for its purpose.

The Bios should only be updated if it is absolutely necessary.

Belatucadrus 10:21 16 Aug 05

" How problematic is this actvity if I make a hash of it? "

Fairly terminal, the clue is in the name BIOS Basic Input/Output System. Screw things up and the fundamental communication interface between you and the PC is dead. Fixing it usually involves the use of another BIOS chip. The BIOS update must be the ultimate example of 'If it ain't busted don't fix it'.
Do you have a specific reason for updating the BIOS ?

Quilljar 10:22 16 Aug 05

Thanks Stuart. I can only plead ignorance about the free upgrade. I am hoping to get a bit more speed and flexibility out of my chipset this way. I have two extra external USB HDs as well as an external USB CDRW drive. I have a dvd drive which for some reason does not work, a network to a laptop and three screens with a Matrox Parhelia video card for flight simming. It is a large and peculiar setup and I hope to improve its efficiency. Maybe this is not the way to go?

Stuartli 11:04 16 Aug 05

If you go to the manufacturer's website and look up the notes of what each Bios upgrade for your particular motherboard achives, then you will have a better idea of whether an upgrade is necessary.

You won't get more "speed or flexibility" out of your CPU merely by updating the Bios, although you may well be able to use a faster processor as a result if the motherboard is capable, along with other possible benefits.

Stuartli 11:15 16 Aug 05

My motherboard (a Gigabyte 6VX7-4x) was acquired in new OEM form a few weeks ago, but is actually four to five years old.

I have had no reason so far to even consider updating the original AMI Bios as, like its Elite P6BXT-A+ predecessor, it happily copes with everything thrown at it using Windows XP Pro as the OS.

Quilljar 12:54 16 Aug 05

I will take yr advice and do nothing for now. I agree with the saying, 'If it an't broke etc' from personal experience. It is worth £20 quid or so to get good advice!

Totally-braindead 13:36 16 Aug 05

I've updated the BIOS on my PC twice now and each time it was just so that I could put a newer faster processor in it. But and its a big but I've got a Gigabyte GA7VAXP board and it had dual BIOS, basically what it is is 2 BIOS chips if something goes wrong the PC when restarted goes to the alternative BIOS. This is the only reason I considered flashing the BIOS. If I didn't have this safeguard I would be exceptionally wary of trying it. Most of the BIOS updates I believe are just to allow the boards to use newer processors and as such there would be no performance advantage in flashing the BIOS if you weren't upgrading the processor. I think you've made a wise choice in just leaving it alone.

Stuartli 14:27 16 Aug 05

Unfortunately this feature, along with @Bios etc are no longer supported for my motherboard by Gigabyte...:-((

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…