Avoiding 'screen burn' on LCD TV

Pineman100 13:35 09 May 09

My wife and I are staying in a friend's house. He has a huge flat-panel Sharp Aquos LC-42XD1E LCD television, with Freeview.

We are Radio 4 addicts, and as there's no radio in the house, we've been listening to it on the TV. After a particularly long days's radio, yesterday, we switched to a TV channel for the evening.

All through the evening's TV viewing, we could see on the screen a 'ghost' of the radio text. In case you've never seen this text, it's a stationary design of boxes containing descriptive text of the current radio programme.

This was a considerable worry for us - we thought we might have ruined the screen. However, after a night switched off, the ghosting was gone.

We have no manual for the TV, and I was wondering whether such devices usually include a 'screensaver' function, in order to prevent this ghosting. If they do, can anyone please advise me how to find the function?

Also, if the stationary radio screen is used a great deal, does the screen ghosting eventually become permanent?

Sea Urchin 13:43 09 May 09

Don't know the answer to your question, but here is a link to download the user manual

click here

mooly 13:48 09 May 09

LCD's are totally immune to image burn. Without seeing it it's impossible to say, but screen damage it isn't. Could be an electronic artifact, weird I know, but stranger things have happened.
Try again and this time just switch off and back on. If the image has gone it's some strange "characteristic" I would say, but 100% not screen damage.

Pineman100 14:35 09 May 09

Sea Urchin - thanks for finding that for me. I can't see anything relating to a screensaver, so I guess it's not an available function. mooly's answer may explain that.

mooly - many thanks for the reassurance. Maybe we should just have switched off and on again before panicking! However, as I said, the 'ghost' was gone the next day, and it's reassuring to know that we don't have to worry about it.

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5