avoiding logon screen

Tony 17:48 21 Apr 03

I run windows xp pro and am the only user.
How can I skip the logon screen at startup and after standby?

Thanks to all
Tony

LastChip 18:54 21 Apr 03

It can be done in Windows NT, but not sure about XP.

Both these systems are designed with networking in mind, and so default to a log on.

Unless you are prepared to take a considerable risk that your computer may not start, I should put up with the log on screen!

MAJ 19:00 21 Apr 03

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and click "change the way a user logs on and off", then choose the option to use the Welcome Screen.

Legolas 19:08 21 Apr 03

go to control panel click on the network icon, in the window that shows your present login mode e.g. "client for microsoft networks" click the drop down list and choose "windows login" then reboot.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:11 21 Apr 03

click here and d/l xppowertoys as I believe this has a bypass function in the TweakUI setup.

There is also this way taken from the Tweak site........1. click on "Start" - then click on "Run" - and type
"control userpasswords2"
2. click OK
3. On the Users tab, clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box and click "Apply".
4. A dialog will appear that asks you what user name and password should be used to logon automatically, just click "OK".
Then go to Control Panel / User Accounts, and click “Change the way users log on or off”, and untick both “Use the Welcome Screen” and “Use Fast User Switching”

Natch the usual 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' applies.

G

MAJ 19:12 21 Apr 03

And for the "after standby", go to Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced tab and untick the "Prompt for Password after standby" box.

-pops- 19:16 21 Apr 03

Heed GANDALF <|:-)>'s last sentence well. As it is something so very early in the loading up of your system, if it goes A/T you are really in schtook.

You would be best just putting up with it.

Tony 20:32 21 Apr 03

Powertoys is a great way to achieve this and maz solved the standby part.
Thanks fellows. PC Advisor is the best forum!!!!!

MAJ 20:36 21 Apr 03

Glad to help, Tony. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…