Avir Antivir Personal Free, license question?

gazmix 01:37 16 Aug 08

Hi
I just installed the free Antivir personal programme!
I skipped over the licensing stuff in installation as i didn't think i needed a license key!
Do i?
I don't want to get used to it & then it all expires after 30 days trial! I've read all the info & here, at the bottom, it contradicts itself !!

Product information :: Licensing
In order to be able to use Avira AntiVir Personal, you require a license. You thereby accept the license conditions of Avira AntiVir Personal.

The license is provided in the form of an activation key. The activation key is a letter and figure code which you will receive after purchasing Avira AntiVir Personal . The activation key contains the exact data of your license, i.e. which programs have been licensed for which period of time.

The activation key will be sent to you by email, if you have purchased AntiVir Personal on the Internet or it is rendered on the product packaging.

In order to license your program, please enter your activation key to activate Avira AntiVir Personal. The product activation may be carried out during installation. However, you can also activate Avira AntiVir Personal after the installation by running Control Center under Help::License management .

A valid activation key is already contained in Avira AntiVir Personal. For this reason, product activation is not required.

As you can see in last paragraph, it says it's not required & in the rest of the above it says an activation key will be sent via email!
Should i reinstall & go for the activation key??

I though it was forever free like AVG free was!
It mentions 'purchasing' a lot, i haven't purchased anything, it was a free download!!

Hope you can help

Gaz

ambra4 02:36 16 Aug 08

You sure you download the Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus 8.1.0.331

No problem to install and was licensed after software was updated

click here

FatboySlim71 09:24 16 Aug 08

Your problem is that you done the following,

"I skipped over the licensing stuff in installation as i didn't think i needed a license key!
Do i?"

You do need a license key even though it is a free version.

I have Avira Free version and you do not get a activation key sent in an email, the key is randomly generated during installation, it mentions this at some point during the installation, if it asks you if you want to do this random key generation then you need to tell it yes.

If you open Avira up, on the Status Overview window, does yours show what the below picture of my version shows?

click here

FatboySlim71 09:26 16 Aug 08

Even though mine shows the 1/7/2009, I'm sure the program generates another key before this date.

gazmix 12:41 16 Aug 08

Ambra, yes!
FatboySlim71
Yes, it shows that!!
Avira Antivir Personal - Free AntiVirus 01/07/2009

But, on installation, i skipped the part where it asks you to add your details, email etc!
I guess it automatically included the key & nearer towards that date, it will offer me another!!

FatboySlim71 17:42 16 Aug 08

I have used basically every free anti virus and once and only once I paid for Norton. I my opinion I think Avira beats any of them, it often comes top in detection rates over the others.

Its very light on system resources as well.

Give it a try you have nothing to lose ;-)

click here

gazmix 19:18 16 Aug 08

Midjetninja
Yes, AVG has issues, thats why i moved to this! AVG 8 made Firefox continuously crash & slowed everything down.

I'm finding it pretty ok to use after spending a fiew hours navigating my way around, except for the annoying thing when it keeps asking you if you want to upgrade when you update!!

Light on systems, i'm unsure, as the download is 23.89MB, but when it's installed, it goes up to 63.79MB in 'add/remove programmes' wether this is low, i'm unsure!! & why does it put an icon in Control Panel?
I also hear its hard to uninstall as there is no link to uninstall in start>programmes>Antivir Personal Edition Classic, & it don't uninstall everything via 'add/remove' programmes!

FatboySlim71 22:39 16 Aug 08

Once it is running it is light on your systems resources, i.e. CPU.

The best program I have come across for un-installing programs is Revo Uninstaller. This basically removes everything, left over registry entries, left over files & folders. IMO it does a better job than Windows Add/Remove program option.

click here

provider 2 23:04 16 Aug 08

Avast! 4.8

Speaks for itself really: click here

gazmix 04:38 17 Aug 08

Light on CPU?, but its much larger than AVG 8 as far as what it takes up?
How do i tell what programmes in future or this one, is low on system resources!!!
& how come it is 23.89MB in download, but once installed is so big, 63.79MB, why is that! Its bigger than AVG that slows pc's down!!!

FatboySlim71 09:04 17 Aug 08

If you go into task manager CTRL ALT DEL, it will list the CPU usage, memory usage of the various programs etc running on your system.

On my system the avgnt.exe (Avira's running file) is using 0% CPU usage and 1,336K memory, this is an extremely low amount of memory. Obviously this would go up slightly if Avira was doing a system scan, but this would apply for most if not all anti virus programs, but most of the time Avira is just running in the background so this is its typical usage figure.

The actual installation file size makes no difference to the amount of memory, CPU usage. A lot of installation files are small in size to enable a faster download, it is only once they are installed that they unpack and go to the larger size.

The general opinion is that Avira is low on systems resources. It might be an idea for you to install AVG 8 and compare the memory usage, or possible someone who has it installed could do this.

AVG 8 is liked by a lot of people, but some people may find that it slows down the computer has it probably has more background parts running than Avira, some people say it slows the Internet down due to its Safe Search, Safe Surf, Safe Link Scan features, but some people do not notice a slowdown, its basically a case of trying various anti virus programs yourself and seeing which is most suitable for you, they are all free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…