AVI to MPEG Converter

Skeletor 15:08 12 Jul 05

I have a little Canon Ixus V3 camera which is able to record short video clips as AVI files. I have a couple of clips that I want to email, but they are they are too big (tried sending but got returned). As I understand it, if I convert to MPEG they can be compressed further.

Does anyone know of any free software that will do the job safely? I've done a Google and it seems that some are riddled with spyware.

De Marcus 15:36 12 Jul 05

The stoik video converter (freeware version) is an excellent little util that will do this job no probs. click here

De Marcus 15:37 12 Jul 05

You will need quicktime installed though

Skeletor 15:46 12 Jul 05

De Marcus,

Thanks, I'll download and take a look.

De Marcus 15:49 12 Jul 05

Wait skeletor!

The new version doesn't seem to support mpeg, I'll try to find an older version.

TomJerry 15:52 12 Jul 05

If receiver is going to view it in PC, Microsoft's Movie Maker 2 (free from MS web site and only work for XP) is THE best option to go. It will produce format, window media player can play.

If the receiver is going to view it by a PDA (PocketPC or palm) or mobile phone (smart phone), PocketDivXEncoder is THE program for you click here.

If the receiver is going to use it to produce DVD, you need a MPEG2 encorder which is not free due to license issuses.

Skeletor 17:30 12 Jul 05

Thanks De Marcus,

I noticed it doesn't support MPEG, but I think it will be useful anyway.

Thanks TomJerry,

File to be sent and viewed on PC. I've taken a look at Movie Maker (for some reason I always forget to consider MM) and of course it has "Send as Email" function, Doh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…