avi, mp4, wmv files won't play on new install

PM99 12:53 02 Dec 07

I've just installed a new hard drive and clean re-installed Windows XP home SP2. All software and drivers appear to have been reinstalled and current versions downloaded of all progs including Windows. Everything works fine and much faster except ....
When you open any video file to play in Quicktime or WMP, the PC virtually grinds to a halt and the file won't play. Games work fine, TV decoder fine, flv files play in flv player, music plays fine, just not video files.

I'm guessing codecs but have not yet found a specific problem to fix. Any ideas please?

Installed are WMP v11.0.5, Quicktime v7.3, I-Tunes 7.5.0.2, Roxio EMC 7.0.

MAJ 12:56 02 Dec 07

Try the K-lite Codec Pack. click here

PM99 17:27 02 Dec 07

Thanks. I've done that.Gspot says the codecs are installed but WMP still stalls when you try to open any video file.

have a look in media player tools>options>file types,check that video files are selected.
Also try this player
click here

PM99 18:32 03 Dec 07

They're all checked OK in WMP. Should I uninstall ALL codecs before installing K-lite, or is just running K-lite OK? I also see XP Codec recommended on another thread. Is that worth trying do you think?

PM99 21:45 03 Dec 07

vlc player displayed same symptoms once installed - open any video file and everything stalls. is there something fundamental to playing video that's needed before codecs?

PM99 18:47 04 Dec 07

Further good news. Having exhausted codecs I thought I'd go back to my nvidia drivers. This time, instead of letting windows check for new drivers, I went to the nvidia website and used their driver check tool. Guess what ... new drivers found this time and suddenly everything works again. Thanks and hooray.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos