AVI file size

Portsmouth 09:49 14 Oct 03

Can anyone help.I'm new to this burning DVD lark and struggling a bit!I'm using Nerovision Express.I've managed to capture my video with no problems.But the file size is 27.7GB for approximately 2hrs of video.My understanding is that you should need only 4.7GB of free HD space?Why is the filesize so large?But what is more confusing is that if I go through the burning process it tells me the file size is only about 400MB to big.What am I doing wrong!!!!!!!!

GroupFC 10:15 14 Oct 03

Ok I am new to all this too, but at leat a reply will bump you up the list until somebody more knowledgeable comes along!

It sounds as if the file is saved in .avi format, which is how it has come from the camera. My understanding is that 1gb will be about 4 or 5 mins of video, which corresponds with your file size.

I think that in the process of burning the file is rendered into a different format (but this is where I get a bit lost), and I think Nero is telling you that even in the changed format the file is still too large.

I am not sure if this helps, but I think Nero has quite extensive help files and they may through more light on this for you.

Chegs ® 10:17 14 Oct 03

The 4.7Gb filesize is the max you can get onto a standard DVD cd.The big filesize from your AVI could be anything from long video to "noise" I copied several home vids onto my puter,they were all approx same running time of 40ish mins,two created 8-10Gb files but the third one(jumpy playback on the recorder)produced an 18Gb file.It took me ages,but I went through it frame by frame(sort of)and editted out as much of the jumpy sections as I could without affecting the rest of the video too much and that cut it down to slightly higher than the "normal" two.

Chegs ® 10:21 14 Oct 03

I forgot to add....

The AVI file is the biggest as it has no compression,converting it to a DVD disc,the prog "samples" the AVI file(reduces the frame numbers)The higher the compression DVD/SVCD/VCD,etc the less actual data gets put onto disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…