AVI - DVD writing

Sparky3327 14:30 25 Jul 03

I've got some family movies stored on my PC which I would like to transfer to DVD.
What I'd like to know is do avi files transfer straight to DVD without conversion? Does the quality stay the same?
I've just got a DVD+R and compatible blanks.
The software I have is Instant CD/DVD or Nero.
Cheers,
Grezza

GroupFC 16:31 25 Jul 03

but I am responding to bump it up the list, in the hope that somebody else might see it.

As a general comment I thought that about 17 mins. of avi, is about 4GBs and a DVD will only take 4.7GBs., so I would have thought that to get any more minutes than this onto DVD the avi will have to be encoded into a different format.

I would add that I am a complete novice in this area, so if I am completely wrong I'm sorry!!

Xevious 16:39 25 Jul 03

have a look here, you should find what info you need (hopefully)

click here

if you can't find any answers, post a message on that forum and someone will help you...

GroupFC 22:46 25 Jul 03

Bump

MichelleC 10:02 26 Jul 03

Avi files are big - approx 1gb = 5/6 mins. You'll have to compress to get onto dvd. Movie makers use 'layered' dvd's (not sold to us plebs)so they can fit onto 1 dvd. Best compression is mpeg2, but this plugin is copyright so may have to buy.

Alternatively you can use nero to convert avi to mpeg1 (not too bad quality) and burn to cd.

I'm a ptt (print to tape) so a dv burner may come in and offer more insight.

Sparky3327 10:13 26 Jul 03

Thanks for the help. Also, do I need a certain type of blank disc to write movies to?
Cheers,
Grezza.

MichelleC 14:38 26 Jul 03

My son burns converted avi's, with Nero, to cd's bought for £18 x 100 from pc fair. He uses mpeg1 and depending on quality of original it's good (vcd). I think svcd is mpeg2 (less compressed than 1.

y_not 06:31 27 Jul 03

Hopefully a little more info for you.

Its worth investing in an editing package such as Pinnacle Studio. Open the AVI's in there and you can edit, cut, join etc. Once you've done there is a "Make movie" option with settings for VCD, SVCD & DVD (amongst others) where the programme will author (encode) the file to MPEG2.

Once encoded (which can take a LONG time - several hours possibly) Drag the files into your burner software and burn them to DVD.

One other thing - the files - they comprise of 2 folders, AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS (in that order - audio first) these are the folders that you burn. If you open them you'll find the AUDIO_TS file is probably empty - still burn it. The VIDEO_TS file contains VOB files - these contain the video, primary audio track & disk map (that allows the DVD to have a menu)

Hope some of this makes sense and is helpful

Tony

Sparky3327 09:15 27 Jul 03

Thanks for your help, Tony, it's become a lot clearer.

ollie < one> 10:16 27 Jul 03

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…