AVI Corrupted

Polopaul69™ 02:11 07 May 07

Can anyone help?

I came home this evening to find my PC was turned off and found this was due to a powercut in the area. I started up the PC again and let XP do Checkdisk etc then went to open an AVI file and it said:

"The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

I then went to open another one - the same error.

I connected an external hard drive and the same error????

Now i could understand an error from the hard drives which were connected when the power went off, but the external one's, i cannot understand why they are not working.

I did a full virus & adware scan - nothing.

Does anyone know why i cannot open any AVI files? It is just that i need these videos for a course that i am studying.

------------
Using XP Pro
WMP 11 to open AVI

I have also tried opening them in a different program and that just crashes when i try to open them..

Polopaul69™ 02:16 07 May 07

I just tried using an AVI which i have on a backup CD and that comes up with the same error also so i don't think that it has to do with the hard drives but rather something software based.

Also checked antivirus up to date (it is).

Dumbfounded by this.....

squillary 02:56 07 May 07

Two things come to mind. Either the file association between AVI files and WMP is broken (disprove this by opening the files directly) or WMP itself is corrupt.

Maybe try going to the Run box and enter "chkdsk \f \v \r" (without inverted commas) and let it run its course. It'll sort out any file corruption you may've got when the power went down.

Polopaul69™ 12:45 07 May 07

I have found something unusual. Whenever i go to ANY folder or CD media and double click on the AVI file to open it, it comes up with the message

"The archive is either in unknown format or damaged"

However, if i go into WMP and then open a file from there, it sometimes works. This got me thinking that maybe WMP was corrupted, but i don't know how can i check if to see if it is or not.

I then ran "chkdsk \f \v \r" restarted and tried again to open files but it didn't seem to sort it out.

Just stuck as dunno where to go from here....

squillary 15:00 07 May 07

Did you check the file associations (Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options)? I'm guessing now, but how about uninstalling and reinstalling WMP?

Polopaul69™ 19:54 07 May 07

gonna uninstall and reinstall later tonight. I'd checked the file assoc... they are fine. Will let you know what happens later. I tried opening in nero showtime and quicktime but that failed as well which made me think it wasn't directly to do with wmp.

Will keep trying

thanks for all your assistance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now