AVI Codecs

Dirk Diggler 13:16 05 Jan 06

My friend has sent me an AVI file of his holidays (non-copyright) but neither WMP / DIVx player will play it.

In WMP I get a message saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found"

As a relative newbie to video files, can someone explain what "codecs" are and if / where I can get round this message and get the file to play?

Thalmus 13:18 05 Jan 06

Download and install the k-lite codec pack

click here

Dirk Diggler 13:28 05 Jan 06

... but still not joy.

Dirk Diggler 13:35 05 Jan 06

After installing the above I now get a message from DIVx player saying "The Video File you are opening contains video data that is not recognised by DIVx player. The file contains the following type of data. Video data "FOURCC" code: XVID.

Any help?

ROYWIDD 13:36 05 Jan 06

you could also try click here for your codecs,look at the lefthand side of the homepage and you'll see"codecs"

rsinbad 13:37 05 Jan 06

have you tried other software than wmp

ROYWIDD 13:38 05 Jan 06

your update arrived just as i was posting the link,i use fourcc for all my codecs without any problems

Dirk Diggler 13:49 05 Jan 06

I download the XVID Codec v 1.1.0, but still get the same message in DIVx player.

Would a reboot help i wonder ?

Damn Machine 14:01 05 Jan 06

click here
it will tell what codecs the file uses so that you can serach for the specific codec you need

Dirk Diggler 14:06 05 Jan 06

.. that I have 3 codecs already installed that should be able to play the file. Also, when i select the "Render" option it says "Rendering failed" I'm beginning to think that there may be a problem with the file itself?

Damn Machine 14:13 05 Jan 06

Dirk - is that all g spot tells you about the file? I had a problem a while ago in which it said I had 5 avaialble codecs, so I thought "well play the ******* thing then" but it was also telling me the the path to the first one was invalid (can't remeber the exact term) and it seems that because that one existed but was defective the system wouldn't go any further.

The solution was to find the application - Power DVD in my case - that had the bad codec, remove and reinstall.

Also do you know that the file isn't corrupted - does it play on anything else?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…