AVGfree 8 Installation

Mananin 17:20 05 Aug 08

I have an HP G7000 6 month old laptop preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0.6) operating system. When I bought it I installed Grisoft AVRfree 7.5 antivirus prog but as this is about to terminate I have been trying to install AVGfree 8.0
I successfully download the new prog and most of the stages of installation happen until I get an “Attention” note which says it has detected a Windows Vista OS which is not fully upto date as the KB929547 patch is not present and if installation is continued significant system slowdown could be experienced as well as serious problems with internet connection.
I have read, on this site, some problems being experienced with SP1 and I know that KB929547 is not SP1 but I am wary of installing the patch.
Since purchasing the laptop there have been 2 or 3 automatic Windows updates but I have not made a note of exactly what has been updated.
Any comments would be welcome.
Mananin

skidzy 17:27 05 Aug 08

6 Months old and only 2-3 updates,you should have had more than that.

Have you gone to MS updates and checked what updates are availible ?

First thing is to create a restore point and install the required update click here
and reboot the computer,then try to reinstall AVG free.

Mananin 18:12 05 Aug 08

Skidzy..Thanks for reply. Have been looking up how and where to set up Restore Point. Have been to MS site for patch. Presumably you have no adverse comments on the patch.
Manain

Quiet Life 19:20 05 Aug 08

AVG 7 has been terminating for montns now. Despite the many false messages sent by AVG it is said on their forum that updates will continue to the end of the year,

skidzy 19:41 05 Aug 08

First goto ;

Click the Start button (windows orb bottom left of your screen), click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.Update accordingly.

If the update is not availible (KB929547) you can try to install this...the update is new to me.

Creating a Vista restore point;
click here

Mananin 22:15 05 Aug 08

Thanks again Skidzy. Useful site.
Mananin

Mananin 22:20 05 Aug 08

Quiet Life. Still getting av7 updates although it's supposed to have stopped. Have also heard somewhere it will go on til year end.
Mananin

provider 2 22:43 05 Aug 08

AVG 7.5 free and paid-for versions` updates are to be terminated at different times:

click here

I think this is the second revision of the end of the free support, however.

Quiet Life 23:22 05 Aug 08

providor 2 Thanks it looks as if michaeld has backtracked on his previous posting that AVG 7.5 free was continuing to the end of the year,
AVG have lost a lot of creditability with their various announcements and pop ups asto when updates were finishing.
It has been badly handled by AVG and a lot of people are using other free anti virus programs.
It probably does not worry AVG at losing free users as the idea seems to have been to frighten people into taking a paid for version.

Mananin 21:36 06 Aug 08

Skidzy...........Set up the restore point OK. Downloaded the MS patch OK. Downloaded the AVG8 OK.Done a scan OK..944819 items over 1hr 13min..how long will it take in 5yrs time?
Just one point..as the download was successful and all else appears OK should I now delete the restore point or keep it?
Thanks for help. Mananin

skidzy 20:26 07 Aug 08

No harm in keeping the restore point mananin,you never know...you may need it.
Glad your sorted ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…