AVG8 Query

Demora 13:11 18 May 08

I have upgraded to AVG 8 and I'm wondering if its working right as a virus scanner etc.

It takes it a couple of hours to scan my hdd (200gig) and when it is scanning it says its found all kinds of adware/a few trojans and a keylogger or 2. All seem to be related to Internet Explorer and activeX. BUT I never use IE. Come to think of it I don't visit many websites.

It then tells me there are no threats.

How is it finding these things, if for example I wasn't on the pc and it was turned off most of yesterday and Friday it wasn't even on the internet.

If I have something bad on the pc I'd rather be informed asap instead of a long list whilst its scanning.

TIA

D

Sea Urchin 13:46 18 May 08

AVG8 picks up "signatures" (Active X) from your anti-spyware programs (particularly Spywareblaster) and treats them as malware, which of course they are not. These are the warnings that you see. If you delete them it will disable that part of the anti-spyware protection, and you will need to re-enable it by updating the anti-spyware program. As long as it says there are no threats then you can ignore the "warnings".

crosstrainer 14:29 18 May 08

As Sea Urchin say's, you can ignore the warnings....However, the length of time it's taking indicates that something is not rught somwhere. I have to 500GB HDD's and a full scan takes 27 minutes. Might be an idea to uninstall and re-install AVG8 just to check.

crosstrainer 14:30 18 May 08

rught = right :)

Demora 15:30 18 May 08

Thanks Sea Urchin and Crosstrainer. I noticed that theres a little arrow at the bottom that will speed the scanning in AVG8 and have moved that up to fast. Will see how it gets on.

Also I have stopped it from scanning the dvd and external; drives at this time. I haven't changed anything on those and they're not always connected.

Its always nice to know how these things actually work. Especially as I'm about to clone my hdd and didn't want any rubbish on the clone.

Thanks again.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…