AVG8 (paid version) issues

72search 18:45 15 Jun 08

Hi-I'm looking for some advice about anti virus software. In the past I've used avast & been quite satisfied but more recently received many recommendations to go the extra mile & install a paid version. I consulted 8 different techno-minded friends who gave me such conflicting advice I thought I'd go online for help. I'm using Vista on a brand new machine with 3gb of RAM. I installed NORTON 360 a month ago that caused so many dramas I was advised by those in the know that "everyone knows not to buy Norton! What were you thinking?!" so I opted for a 2 year paid version of AVG8. This prog is telling me I've got a dozen trojans every time I scan & *now* I'm being advised by all my i.t expert mates to give this the flick too. Before I spend another couple of hundred bucks, has anyone got further advice for me? I've just wasted a lot of dough & any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

wee eddie 19:05 15 Jun 08

Did you "fully" remove Norton 360, using it's "Removal Tool" downloaded from the Symantec website, before installing AVG?

The residual presence of Norton 360, or any other AV for that matter, on a PC when a new AV is installed would be likely to produce just such an effect.

72search 19:09 15 Jun 08

Hi Eddie-Yes it was professionally removed instore by a tech who removed it via the authorised website. I'm just looking for a good, easy-to-use a-v prog that's not going to require ongoing tweaking & changing by me. I really don't mind paying what it takes for peace of mind that I've got a solid performer.

iscanut2 19:14 15 Jun 08

Was confuse when I could not see my posting on this thread then realised you have also put it up on Helpdesk. This confuses the issue by posting the same thread in two places.

72search 19:16 15 Jun 08

My apologies.. I've newly registered and thought I might've posted it in the wrong spot first time 'round. Sorry for the stuff up.

wee eddie 20:08 15 Jun 08

I do not have the Paid Version but ~ after the Scan ~ Did you instruct it to remove the Trojans.

wee eddie 20:14 15 Jun 08

The reason for most of the antipathy to Norton is that it slows you system something dreadful.

AVG, Avast, Nod32 et alia are all pretty good at their job and slow the PC less than Norton 360 (which is an improvement on previous iterations).

Trojans may require special actions. I suggest you have a quick shufty at the Manual.

72search 04:39 16 Jun 08

Cheers Eddie-I really appreciate the advice mate.

Expat 1 22:04 13 Jul 08

72search

"This prog is telling me I've got a dozen Trojans every time I scan"

Thought that is what i'ts supposed to do !!!

Unless there the same Trojans every time.

Then follow wee eddie's advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…