AVG8 free unable to update

howard64 17:42 17 Dec 08

I have had several people ask me how to get avg8 to update. They all have the same problem, the update manager, tries but returns the message unable to connect to server. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Technotiger 18:23 17 Dec 08

No fix as such, simply try again later! I have lost count of the number of times this has come up recently.

Or, get another anti-virus program.

Though my own free AVG has not had any update problems.

aitch2 18:27 17 Dec 08

I am using AVG8 free, and over the past week or so I have been having trouble in updating. I have been having error messages with .bin file and .cdf file missing preventing any update and cannot connect to the server. After eventually opening AVG the errors were highlighted (Update manager and email scanner failed). I uninstalled and the re-installed and the problem was still the same as other threads have shown. Rebooted the computer, connected to the internet and left it for a couple of Hours and then it seem to update itself. Did another check a few hours ago and had no problem. Apparently AVG have had problems with their server, but now appears OK
Aitch

howard64 18:48 17 Dec 08

Thanks I will inform those that asked me.

ZZ Top 08:54 18 Dec 08

AVG8 Free loads pretty quickly when the computer is switched on and if, like me, you switch your computer and router on all at the same time, AVG can try to update before the router is initialised. This gives the 'unable to connect to the server' message. It does seem to take a while for it then to update on its own, but you can open AVG and manually select update, this usually works.
I now try to remember to switch my router on first and wait a few seconds before booting up computer.
For info, I also get the same problem when going online with the Wii. If this starts up before router it will not connect; have to switch off then on again.

Technotiger 08:57 18 Dec 08

Just as a matter of interest, I never switch my Router off, I also don't have problems with updates AVG Free and Windows etc! Maybe there is a connection? No pun intended :-)

Brenkk 14:32 18 Dec 08

aitch2 I find the following link useful click here

howard64 16:42 20 Dec 08

About 10 people have been unable to update even after uninstalling and downloading the prog or off a cover disk. It then happened with mine and all of us have uninstalled avg8 and downloaded Avast. This seems fine and updates regularly. This is the first time in about ten years I have been without avg.

northumbria61 12:19 22 Dec 08

I could suggest that you purchase AVG 8.0 but maybe this little program would help you - it delays the start-up of programs.

click here

howard64 17:19 22 Dec 08

thanks for the suggestion northumbria61 but it is not the pc not being on line when avg tried but just not being able to update. Avast is doing just fine and has a strange voice which tells you that it has just updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…