Is AVG and Zone Alarm enough to protect me?

Halmer 20:30 02 Mar 03

I'm still learning and every month when my PCA lands on the doormat the disc contains loads of free/trial software programs, a lot of which are to do with security, ports, anti-vitus etc etc.

Do I need anything other than the two that I have please?

paddyjack 20:36 02 Mar 03

That is all that I have used and still do never any probs, not yet being caught out.

Falkyrn 20:39 02 Mar 03

Security wise yes, although some may disagree. But you may also wish to consider other products such as adaware or spyblaster or others of that ilk to get rid of any rubbish which attaches itself to your system "legally"

Halmer 20:44 02 Mar 03

has identified nasties does it stop them from landing on your PC again or do you have to keep running the thing every day?

bloo meeny 20:44 02 Mar 03

I use AVG and (free) ZoneAlarm and these are fine providing you get the updates regularly.

To check your system security, go to

click here

and follow the links to the "Shields Up" section.
Run the tests and then use the "Probe my Ports" option (oo-er!).

bloo meeny 20:48 02 Mar 03

I run Ad-Aware every day, which you really need to do.
Also recommend WindowWasher (Webroot) - use daily or weekly) & Ashampoo WinOptimizer2000 (every 3 months)

bloo meeny 20:54 02 Mar 03

To run Ad-Aware (version 6.0) daily, I turn OFF all the in-depth scanning, archive & memory options then select just the windows folder to be scanned.
This will take just a few seconds each day and detects between 6 and 15 items daily on my system.

Run with all options ON (and drives selected) when you wish.

-pops- 21:02 02 Mar 03

Spywareblaster stops the nasties getting in and Adaware deals with those already there.

Stokey 21:08 02 Mar 03

Zone Alarm is very good. AVG is not as good as some other AVs and since it let me down I don't use it any more, but it is free and very popular with quite a few PCA forum members.

-pops- 21:13 02 Mar 03

Remember that all of these things are only as good as their last update.

It is imperative to keep them fully up to date with the latest definitions otherwise you may as well not bother with any of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…