AVG and Zipped attachments

Diemmess 17:22 17 Jan 03
  Diemmess 17:22 17 Jan 03

I use Aol 7 and AVG regularly updated.......2 virus attacks in the same “post”today........ Easily recognised by familiar garbled addresses, irrelevant title and nil contents. Both deleted

Aol is set up to automatically download the attached files, but not to open them.
Both were zipped “folders” one called itself Size.zip and the other I don’t remember but was equally recognised from the past. (Bugbear)

My point is that I ran AVG specifically at Download and Aol. It pronounced the whole thing OK. (I have deleted these folders now anyway)

I seem to remember that AVG would recognise a virus even though zipped? ........... Has this changed, or did I have to be daft enough in the past to unzip a file before AVG would intervene?

Perhaps more important. Am I missing the settings in AVG to make sure that it picks up an infected zipped file? I have looked all through, and the basic screen shows all systems green ticked.

TOPCAT® 17:35 17 Jan 03

"AVG is good software and it detected the viruses fairly well. It ignored the double-zipped file until it was unzipped and then leapt upon the new-found virus."

... from click here

TC.

Diemmess 20:16 17 Jan 03

Thanks TOPCAT® I read the click-here. Originally I must have unzipped out of misguided curiosity.

Posted back to you a couple of hours ago, the screen complained I had lost the carrier, and a neighbour called because she was locked out!

Her husband had come home too and the rest of the family were all depending on Mum for the key - apparently dropped into a bag of stuff for the charity shop!

It all makes life interesting.... nothing more cerebral than a swift tap with a hammer on the smallest pane we could find!
Reformatting of Window 1979 is now needed.

siarad 20:25 17 Jan 03

I use ZipMagic which treats zip files as ordinary files i.e. it unzips on the fly so have never thought about this. AVG certainly catches my zipped test file each time but that may be ZipMagic's intervention

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…