AVG vs Avast Antivirus

alex.beckett 13:46 15 Sep 09

Hi all,

I have just bought my new laptop and am at the point where i need to install my antivirus. I have been using avast for the past year or two on my pc after finishing with norton. I have been reccomended by a friend to use avg free but i have also read a lot of reviews that have said avast is safer and better.

I have never had any problems with avast but what is everyones opinion of the two on here?

Thanks

mfletch 13:54 15 Sep 09

Stick with Avast

Or better still use Avira

alex.beckett 14:00 15 Sep 09

Is avira better still than avast then?

If so what are you reasons for it being better?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:01 15 Sep 09

IMHO
Avast just as good as AVG but uses less resources

RobCharles1981 14:05 15 Sep 09

I'm using Avira works great with me.

ened 14:09 15 Sep 09

"Is avira better still than avast then?"

I think there is little difference - it is mainly personal preference.

I like Avast and my wife has just had a major problem which appeared to be caused by AVG so I am going to switch her over also.

I should say that I had used AVG for years until I switched because it started causing me problems after an upgrade.

I now much prefer Avast because it seems to intercept the virus before it gets into the machine and whenever I bother to run a full scan it always comes up clean (presumably for this reason). AVG on the other hand used to find virus already on my machine.

alex.beckett 14:13 15 Sep 09

Ok thanks. I read a review online that said it's good to have an anti-malware and anti-spyware program installed as well as avast or whatever antivirus you have.
Is there a need for this?

Thanks

DieSse 14:45 15 Sep 09

Is there a need for this?

Yes. I use Malwarebytes, and Spybot S&D.

With a good AV they shouldn't find much - but better safe than sorry.

alex.beckett 15:04 15 Sep 09

Ok, the one that ive been advised to install is superantispyware. Is this good and is it quite light on cpu usage etc...

Thanks

mfletch 15:25 15 Sep 09

SAS is very good but the free version does not provide real time protection

Just do a manual scan every week that is enough

Avast plus a scan every week with SAS is OK

Just add SpywareBlaster 4.2 click here

palinka 15:47 15 Sep 09

I've used AVG free version for years; never had any problems.
I tried Avast for a while, but didn't like it, so went back to AVG.
I think it's a matter of personal preference.
And yes, use anti-spyware/malware as well; because they all find slightly different nasties & GENERALLY SPEAKING an anti-virus will find only VIRUSES, not other harmful things.
Remember that ALL of these programs need updating regularly because they can only find/prevent threats that they have "learned" about from the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…