AVG and Vista 64 bit

Chas49 23:05 04 Jan 09

Some of you may remember the masny time I had to appeal to forum members on behalf of my neighbour. Although he is now 3000 miles plus away I have received a request from him again - much tgo my surprise!

He is about to get a new desktop, an HP with the 64 bit Vista Home OS installed (though I have warned him that he may have to do this himself but - no worries, they make it easy), a 640 GB Hard Disk (probably split into two x 320 gigs) - he has asked me if Free AVG will work on that machine - I had trouble when doing this on my own HP 3315s and finished up with Avasti.

I know that some of you run Vista 64 Home and wondered if you can answer his query?

retep888 00:08 05 Jan 09

I have no problem installing free AVG on 64bit Vista (though Ultimate version but I doubt there is much difference).

Chas49 01:00 05 Jan 09

Thanks - I'll pass that back on to him immediately - for it's only 8pm where he is.

ened 07:39 05 Jan 09

I did have trouble with AVG on my 64bit Ultimate machine and have been using Avast ever since.

Nothing wrong with Avast if your neighbour has to go down that route.

retep888 14:46 05 Jan 09

Don't know why you have trouble with free AVG on your Vista 64bit Ultimate machine but I only still have problem with free Zonealarm though.

ened 15:11 05 Jan 09

I had trouble some time ago and decided to wait a few months until they released a patch.

The problem was that in the meantime I was getting those irritating upgrade notices (If I remember correctly) twice daily.

So I uninstalled it and installed Avast.

It may well be that they have sorted out the problems but I am now quite happy with this one.

Chas49 17:37 05 Jan 09

I have recommended Avast to him in preference to AVG. Comodo, although a pain sometimes, appears to do the Firewall job on my HP Slimline whereas Zonealarm I found, gave trouble when installing - for the life of me I can't remember what kind of trouble but I do remember that I couldn't be bothered - Comodo on the other hand gave me no problems.

ened 17:54 05 Jan 09

I don't use an independent firewall.

I rely on Defender and recently I went to a site which checked your security and it said it was unable to 'see' me.

Maybe someone will tell me different but that seemed to be good ennough for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…