AVG Virus Vault

Seadog 10:07 24 Jan 04

What happens if I empty the virus vault in Avg 7.0? My son (wasn't me - honest!)managed to download two viruses that AVG identified and put in the vault and listed as follows, a Trojan Horse - Startpage.DF - filename: msinfo.exe The other is listed as G:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msinfo.exe - filename: msinfo.exe both are 52kb. Are they one and the same? I have looked at the help files but they don't seem to explain what I can do.
Is it safe to empty the vault, will the infected files be deleted, will I lose these files, will the viruses return?
The program says that it cannot heal these, any help or advice is appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:16 24 Jan 04

Empty the vault, there will be no problem as the virus has been stripped. While you are at it go to C-programme files-Grisoft-AVG6-update and delete all the files within. They are only old update files and are not needed.

G

johnnyrocker 10:18 24 Jan 04

i would say it is quite safe to delete these as the fact they are in there means your machine has been protected.
as for will they return it depends where you go on the net but if your av is kept up to date you should stay protected.

johnny.

Seadog 10:28 24 Jan 04

So basically the file "msinfo" is still in use by windows, it is only the virus that has been sent to the vault, is that correct? If that is so, why does AVG say it can't heal the infected file? Or just delete it from the vault itself?
Sorry to be a pest but I want to be sure that I am doing the right thing and at the same time know what is going on with my system.

Jester2K 11:01 24 Jan 04

A file can only be HEALED if it has a virus attached. The Healing just removes the virus part.

If a file is the virus in its entirety (as is the norm now) then it can't be healed and just gets sent to the Virus Vault.

Empty the vault and rescan. See if it picks up anything.

BurrWalnut 14:45 24 Jan 04

The *.bin files in Prog Files, Grisoft, AVG6, Update used to be large. Lately they are considerably smaller, where is the "master" or "core" database stored?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:24 24 Jan 04

The updates are usually quite small, around 40kb, so the files in the update folder will be considerably smaller than they used to be. The core database is required to run AVG so mucking about with it isn a no-no.

G

BurrWalnut 16:26 24 Jan 04

Where/what is the core reference file?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…