AVG Virus Scanner & LoveSanA Virus.

X-Box 16:55 22 Aug 03

After suffering an attack from MSBlaster, removed the virus, installed MS patch & activated Zonealarm firewall.
After using PC for a couple of hours AVG says 'LoveSanA virus found run full scan'

I do this and AVG reports no virus found.

The machine otherwise behaves fine & does not shut down like it did when infected.

What's going on ?

Is my machine really clean now & if so how do I stop this message from AVG ?

jazzypop 17:57 22 Aug 03

AVG has probably found a copy in your System Restore files - Windows will not let AVG or any other AV software touch any files contained within System Restore.

You need to disable System Restore, remove the worm, then re-enable System restore.

If you go to click here you can download a simple tool that will definitely work, provided you follow the instructions very carefully (I suggest you print them).

Instructions on how to enable / disable System restore are in the link above.

X-Box 18:16 22 Aug 03

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home - sounds like the answer to me.

I'm still new to XP & never thought about the restore system keeping a copy of the bloody thing until you mentioned it.

Gaz 25 19:04 22 Aug 03

click here

Provides more information and full manual removal which Antivirus cannot do.

jazzypop 19:37 22 Aug 03

"Provides more information and full manual removal which Antivirus cannot do."

What on earth are you talking about? The link I gave has a fully automated tool that does exactly what your 'manual removal' method does, i.e. deletes one registry key and deletes one file.

However, unlike your manual method, the removal tool also scans all drives for any other instances of msblast.exe (typically to be found within the hidden System restore directory).

It also contains detailed information about what the worm does and does not do, how it spreads, how to avoid reinfection etc.

Crucially, it also has clear instructions about how to disable (and then re-enable) Syatem restore, to prevent re-infection in the future if System Restore is used.

Your 'more information' page does not even mention this basic step.

X-Box 11:50 26 Aug 03

No sign of the worm now anywhere.

Thanks a lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…