AVG virus notification

rash wilson 10:04 06 Jun 05

I periodically get notified by AVG that I have
I-Worm/Hybris infecting one particular folder, in System Volume Information as an embedded object and an archive.
I run AVG again and it appears to be clear.
I schedule AVG to run daily.
However, after several days - even weeks,I get the same notification again.
I don`t seem to be suffering any adverse affects.

1)How do I access System Volume Information?
2)What is happening?
3)What,if anything, do I need to do?
4)Am I worrying needlessly?

I would be grateful for any help/information.

ACOLYTE 10:08 06 Jun 05

I think that this means there is a virus in 1 of your restore points,so turning sytem restore on and off should clear it.

We5ty 10:11 06 Jun 05

Hi,

System Volume Information is the system restore folder and is protected from any changes by the operating system. Hence anti-virus software cannot remove infections backed up by system restore. You need to switch off sytem restore and then restart your machine. This will delete all of the restore points (along with any backed up infections). Once you've done that, turn system restore back on and create a restore point.

Hope this helps.

rash wilson 10:31 06 Jun 05

Thanks for your lightning response, ChrisP and Acolyte, I have done as you advised - only time will tell.

DieSse 10:42 06 Jun 05

You don't necessarily need to turn off Restore. Just create a restore point then tell System Restore to delete all but the most recent restore point. (Via the Disk Cleanup utility.)

Before you do this, you might like to clear your quarantine directory - if this is stored with viruses in it, in the Restore folders - then the AV will likely keep finding it.

You don't need to turn it off. Just create a restore point then tell System Restore to delete all but the most recent restore point. (Via the Disk Cleanup utility.)

Virus checkers are SUPPOSED to know how to deal with this. It seems possible that a lot of virus checkers still don't quite know how.

DieSse 10:46 06 Jun 05

PS - A virus in the Restore folders cannot infect your system, unless you do a System Restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…