AVG Virus alert -

Patr100 13:28 02 Apr 05

Ok - I left my pc on overnight for a change and AVG (up to date) ran a scheduled scan.
When I got up "Virus detected - while opening c/programs/*/*/ googledesktop.exe at core exception C0000005 00034549C

A handful of other desktop items were flagged as infected. Could not heal, place in vault, or provide any more info on alert. When trying ot access IE - did not have the "appropriate permission to access"- I was worried that it was something other than AVG in the middle of a scan that was locking the files. Or they could of course be in use. Could not open task maanager either. nothing happened when I tried. Eventually the PC repbooted itself when I tried to open the control paned. I am trying to run an online scan via trend micro Housecal but MS aanti Spyware is preventing it although it said it was allowing it to run it isn't installing .

Will run AVG again but was the alert a false alarm ( I don't have heuristics on which can produce more alerts) or a recognised virus that needs attention. AVG couldn't do anything with it except sound the alert.
It appeared to be an issue with AVG scanning the shell extentions with windows explorer context menu .

Any thoughts folks?

Zak 16:39 02 Apr 05

Are you running more than one AV program. From your entry above it seems you have AVG and MS Anti virus.

Running more than AV at the same time may well cause problems and perhaps your experiences are the result.

Zak 16:50 02 Apr 05

I jumped to the wrong conclusion by thinking "MS aanti Spyware" is an AV program.

No ther thoughts at the moment.

bamfiesler 18:36 02 Apr 05

I know this is of no help, but I am seriously now in doubt over avg's capabilty of finding anything before the culprit has trashed your system.

bamfiesler 18:37 02 Apr 05

I know this is of no help, but I am seriously now in doubt over avg's capabilty of finding anything before the culprit has trashed your system.

DieSse 20:14 02 Apr 05

Try the (free to test - though for how long I don't know) new version of NOD32 at click here Look for the Beat test version.

I've always trusted NOD32 and had it find many viruses on client systems that other AVs had missed.

DieSse 20:15 02 Apr 05

That should say Beta Test - sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…