AVG updates - still VERY slow to connect/arrive

palinka 19:26 28 Jan 05

I'm a big fan of AVG or I was when it was AVG6. If I click "Update" in AVG7 it can take 2 minutes to get as far as "the following proiority update is available" and then another 4 minutes before this update even starts to arrive. I'm on broadband connection so it's just an annoyance, but for some of my friends on dial-up it is very confusing - they can't understand that tho nothing is happening it's all OK (and that includes the message "internet connection has failed" (what rubbish!).

Has anyone found a source of AVG updates that happens more quickly?
Needless to say we didn't have this problem with AVG6; and AVG7 was trumpetted as having smaller updates - they all seem pretty large to me.

russmini 19:32 28 Jan 05

Well everything was fine up until a few days ago, but now mine seems to be the same as yours. I have just gone through all other progs to clean defrag etc to see if this will help next time i try with update. will keep on eye on peoples comments.

Digital 19:41 28 Jan 05

I have AVG 7 & I've just updated it in seconds on BB.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:44 28 Jan 05

Please type AVG in the search on the left and see some other threads and responses on AVG update problems/delays.

Alan2 20:01 28 Jan 05

I had the same problems. No update since 25.01.2005 so I've un-installed AVG 7.0 Free and gone to Avast and now am completely up-to-date having just had an automatic update.

palinka 12:51 29 Jan 05

It even takes a minute and a half (a long time to observe nothing happening) to tell me that "No updates are available, please try later".

Will things improve after Feb 15th I wonder when AVG6 support finally ceases? or will things be even worse when everyone is on AVG7.

Lionheart ? 13:02 29 Jan 05

According to the AVG Forum, Grisoft are aware of the Update/Server problem, and are working to correct it.

User-312386 13:20 29 Jan 05

I uninstalled my AVG thinking there was something wrong with it and my PC because of it

Starfox 13:25 29 Jan 05

Spent 6 hours last night trying to update AVG 7 and eventually got connected at 3am this morning, it then took only 7 seconds to update (Broadband connection) so I think it depends on what time you are trying to connect.

Stuartli 13:35 29 Jan 05

It's a nuisance at the moment but if you leave AVG to do the updating after clicking on Check for Updates and get on with other things, you'll eventually find the update has been downloaded and installed.

Chezdez 13:37 29 Jan 05

they just have really busy servers i guess, and i should imagine that when they get rid of 6 altogether, things will be faster

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…