AVG Update problem

benson68 19:47 04 Mar 08

After I switch on my computer in the evening, I get a warning balloon saying that to complete the AVG update, I need to restart the computer. If I don't, strange things happen. It may only be working very slowly, or some functions don't work at all. A restart solves this, but it means starting up the computer, waiting until it's all loaded, then restarting & waiting all over again! Is there a setting in AVG that avoids this daily procedure? AVG didn't used to be like this.

Totally-braindead 19:51 04 Mar 08

I had this once and it was solved by downloading a new copy of avg, going offline and deleting avg and reinstalling it from the download and then updating it.

I assume something had become corrupted.

g0nvs 19:57 04 Mar 08

As Totally-braindead says. Had to do mine last week.

Totally-braindead 19:58 04 Mar 08

It was about 4 or 5 months ago it did this to me and its been fine since I reinstalled it. I did a quick update just now and the restart thing didn't appear for me so I think your AVG is corrupted and a reinstall will solve it.

mfletch 20:15 04 Mar 08

Try this first,

Run AVG Control Center->Update Manager->Settings->Advanced tab-> use "Delete update temporary files" button.
Reboot your PC.
Try to update again

And if it does not work you can download a new AVG and when you double click on the download you can choose to repair your AVG

benson68 20:00 05 Mar 08

Found update manager. The setting was for "update upon next computer restart" so I changed it to "immediate".
Couldn't find any mention of "delete temporary files" though.
If this doesn't work, I'll try totally-braindead's idea.
Thanks folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced