AVG update problem

Gazzerr 18:23 04 Feb 06

AVG won't update - it says it can't convert the server name to an IP address. Anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

961 19:04 04 Feb 06

Try Avast instead

It updates automatically, often several times a day

AVG free often has server overload problems which you can do without when it comes to your virus checker

howard63 19:05 04 Feb 06

if you are running a firewall check that the avg update file is checked for access to the net.

Dipso 23:00 04 Feb 06

There are a few posts about this problem on the AVG forum click here They do seem to be down to firewall configuration or in some cases more than one AV running at once.

Gazzerr 18:31 05 Feb 06

thanks, I will give it a go.

Gazzerr 09:10 15 Feb 06

Thanks but still no joy. I have added the necessary exe files and read the advice from AVG on firewalls but still no joy. i have added the path from the files on my C drive (I installed it from the PC adv cover disk) - does that make any difference e.g. the updates are being downloaded from the web so are the program files from my hard disk just for the initial installation or doesn't it matter where the exe files are located ?

Dipso 21:09 15 Feb 06

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling AVG?

I was having a different problem, system wanted a reboot after every update, very annoying. A repair didn't work so I uninstalled and reinstalled and that sorted it. Do you have the latest build, a later build might not cause the same problem.

I wouldn't think the location of the exe files would matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…