AVG update failue notifications

Halmer 14:42 01 Oct 08

Does anyone else out there keep getting these annoying update failure notices in the bottomleft hand corner or is it just me?

cocteau48 15:00 01 Oct 08

Hi Halmer
No - it's not just you.
I think that AVG issue their updates around early afternoon (GMT) and for the next couple of hours their servers are stretched. Their "paid for" customers may also be getting prioritized when things are busy.
It usually sorts itself out in an hour or so.

Halmer 15:42 01 Oct 08

cocteau48

Thought it might be my connection but if I update it manually immediately after the notification I get a message saying that it is up to date.

H

The Kestrel 19:50 01 Oct 08

Halmer, I regularly have the same problem as you. I normally manually update AVG when I switch on my PC, yet sometimes within a few minutes of downloading an update I get the update failure notice popping up. I think cocteau48 is correct, it is a problem with the AVG servers being overloaded for a period of time.

grey george 20:32 01 Oct 08

After a recent update mine seems to try and connect before the pc has finished booting so the firewall wont let it through. It also checks again later on, there is a setting in the options to adjust the time but you can't switch it off.

Halmer 21:00 01 Oct 08

Yes that's exactly what happens to mine thanks.

GG - Where is that timer setting please?

Halmer 21:01 01 Oct 08

With you now and found it thanks.

lynken 22:13 01 Oct 08

Hi all, it seems to be since they upgraded to ver 8, on all my systems I am getting the same problem and have had for a while. I would have thought that AVG would have addressed this problem by now and corrected it. for the time being I just right click the icon and tell it to update.

clock 15:27 02 Oct 08

I got so fed up with this problem I eventually stopped "automatic update" and just update manually when I'm on line. The Update Manager on the user interface sees it as a problem (orange writing warning) but I just ignore that!

Clock

Halmer 19:30 02 Oct 08

Not just moi then.

grey george 20:51 02 Oct 08

If you right click the update icon in the avg centre there is an option to ingnore the component state. Just remember to do an update at least once a week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…