AVG update downloads but doesn't install

palinka 15:54 03 Mar 06

A friend has just brought her laptop to me. Win XP.
I found her system clock/calendar was showing a date in 2005 and her AVG is greyed out and saying Internal virus database out of date. Date showing for last update 1st Feb '06. I connected and it seemed to downlaod (though on a good speed dial-up it took half an hour)but then failed to reach stage of saying "installed; click OK" or whatever-it-says. It is therefore still showing last update as 1st Feb.
She also says that some emails that she sent yesterday seem to have "vanished" - no record of them in "sent " folder (OE) and they aren't anywhere else that I can find.
I've scanned with Stinger, found nothing; will now try spybot and a2; all on the off chance that a nasty of some sort is causing the problem.
I'll try the download again this evening.
Has anyone else experienced this? any advice welcome.

john-232317 16:38 03 Mar 06

Never had a problem like it myself, I have had two updates today by the way.

StanH 16:51 03 Mar 06

Is it worth downloading a new version of AVG?

surfmonkey #:@} 16:55 03 Mar 06

if it dosent work later on this everning you could always try downloading the updated from grisoft update site at click here copy them to the avg update folder

palinka 17:25 03 Mar 06

Thanks, everyone. I've now deleted the previous copy and installed a new one. I'll try the update tonight. I'll let youy know how it goes.

palinka 19:51 03 Mar 06

Installed and updated OK. Then ran a2 which found 31 pieces of malware; nothing found by Spybot or stinger.
Still seems very slow to download, though dial-up speed is 45Kbps.
But maybe it's by comprison with BB. There was a lot to download.

john-232317 07:33 04 Mar 06

Probably the dialup, I can remember waiting ages, also trying to get stuff on discs ;-)

john-232317 07:36 04 Mar 06

Ewido is good for finding nasties also.Free to download and use click here

palinka 12:08 04 Mar 06

thanks dadyassa, I've downloaded ewido and will run that.
meanwhile I'bm still battling with another quirk of this laptop - see click here

VoG II 12:20 04 Mar 06

With Ewido, when installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'. This is important to avoid conflicts with AVG.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

palinka 12:29 04 Mar 06

thanks for those hints, VoG™.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…