AVG update corrupts system

Halmer 15:04 26 Nov 03

This is driving me mad as I have loaded/reloaded AVG about five times now.

I installed AVG on my lad's PC apparently with no problems. It is a recent version, about a week old saved on a CD. When I go thro' the wizard, including running a full virus check everything is OK. The bottom button to the left tells me that the database needs updating so I let it contact Grisoft and downlaod the latest update. When the update tries to install it encounters an error and renders the control centre at the top out of action and AVG drops off my taskbar leaving the PC with no protection. I've tried rebooting etc but it wont fire up now (AVG wont). I have exactly the same version on our other PC also with XP with no problems at all touch wood.

MichelleC 15:41 26 Nov 03

You can do a manual update, which I did last week as auto update said it couldn't find a connection (I'm b/b), but now it's ok. Alternatively clean reinstall.

Stuartli 15:41 26 Nov 03

The reason is probably because you downloaded it on one computer, installed it and then transferred the program, after burning it to a CD-R or RW, to another system.

The way to do this normally would be to download AVG to the desktop and burn it to a CD-R without having installed it.

It doesn't just happen with AVG - many programs will not work on another system because of already being installed.

Jester2K II 15:54 26 Nov 03

Can't see how that makes a difference. The Installer has no idea its been installed and i carry a copy of AVG on CD to take to clients (saves the long download for those 56kers).

I suspect something is more seriously wrong.

You said "it encounters an error " Whats the error?

Halmer 15:59 26 Nov 03

TBH1 16:06 26 Nov 03

just a thought - - -I have installed / reinstalled this a number of times, and on each occasion I have had to register and get an activation code or something. Did you do this, or did you use same activation code ? Just my 2 penneth

Jester2K II 16:09 26 Nov 03

Just use the same code.

Jester2K II 16:10 26 Nov 03

Sorry i'll clarify.

I use a unique code for each client i install it on.

But i have installed and reinstalled AVG about 4 or 5 times and always used the same code.

Its locked to your e-mail address.

Halmer 19:26 26 Nov 03

that it is related in some way to the failure of my CMOS battery as posted earlier.

I have reinstalled together with systematically resetting the BIOS and Windows date/time settings every time that they have been lost and it seems to have loaded and updated to the latest version OK.

I am assuming that my battery has failed because I keep losing the date/time even tho' this is not reported upon during boot up?

Jester2K II 14:57 27 Nov 03

Ah right. Sorry didn't make the connection. Installed AVG once and had all sorts of problems with updating until i found the clock was about 18 months ahead. Reset the date and all was well...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…