AVG and Trojans

EFC1878 12:11 07 Dec 06

I use AVG and have noticed that in the last week or so it has benne detecting a couple of trojans - both backdoor and normal.

The software purports to either heal or put the file inot a virus vault.

A couple of questions:

- does this mean that my PC is now rid of the pesky things i.e. how does the vault work

- do you have any further advice on what I should do re the viruses detected?

Cheers

rawprawn 12:19 07 Dec 06

Click on "infections" and delete them out of the quarantine and you will be rid of them. (I am assuming AVG Antispyware)

EFC1878 12:26 07 Dec 06

rawprawn

I am referring to AVG Anti-virus and I assume that the virus vault is the AVG equivalent of Nortion's quarantine

rawprawn 13:41 07 Dec 06

Yes, I haven't used that program for some time but just delete them out of the vault.The principle is the same.

rawprawn 13:44 07 Dec 06

If they do turn up again, the chances are they are hiding in your System Restore, so you will need to turn it off, reboot then turn it on again, but don't do that unless you need to, as you will loose all previous restore points.

EFC1878 13:50 07 Dec 06

Ok thanks for the advice.

Looking at the virus vault it would seem as though they are different named trojans albeit one is coming in under different variants.

I have an old mag PC Answers 155 that recommends using software from a-squared click here
Ever hear dof it?

The article also recommends going to a site like symantec to get removal tools - which is basically what I am wondering if this is necessary given the fact that AVG says they have been quarantied and/or deleted.

Not sure why I keep getting them at the moment though.....

Bagsey 13:57 07 Dec 06

Once it is in the virus vault it is safe and secure. If you wish you can delete it but Avg will do that after a few weeks anyway.

Bagsey 14:00 07 Dec 06

If you keep getting them then I would suspect the they are in your system restore so you will need to turn that of then back on again to clear them out. But only do this if you are getting repeats of the same bug as you will lose your restore points.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5