avg taking hours to scan

anniecat 06:11 02 Jan 07

I have used avg for years and the scan has usually taken around 15 to 20 minutes. It is set to do a complete scan every day but I have noticed lately it is taking 3 hours to do the scan. I've never altered any settings so can't understand this, any ideas anyone please. (It's really annoying because for three hours my computer slows down terribly while avg is scanning, unless I cancel it.)

brundle 06:39 02 Jan 07

You don't say which version of Windows you have;
do a disk check and a defrag, different methods for 98/ME and XP.

98/ME; Click the links on the right hand side - click here
Defrag is best run in Safe mode otherwise other programs will keep interrupting its progress - hit F8 repeatedly at boot up, before the Windows logo appears, select safe mode

XP: click here

Clear out old/temporary files; click here

If you still have problems, check your hard-drive with a manufacturer's diagnostic; click here

brundle 06:40 02 Jan 07

Oops - link to XP `Chkdsk` info click here

€dstowe 06:41 02 Jan 07

I installed AVG 7.5 a few days before my BT Broadband upgrade to 8Mb - an a rather foolish installation of the BT Broadband software.

The AVG scan changed from being 20 minutes to 3 hours, just like yours. I removed the useless and irritating BT software and everything went back to normal.

My point is, have you installed anything new since you've noticed this slowing down?

anniecat 07:22 02 Jan 07

Thanks for your responses.

Sorry forgot to say, I have XP.
I defrag and use CC and clear out old stuff very regularly.

I can't say exactly when this 3 hour scanning started so don't know if anything specific has caused it.
It may have started after I downloaded a newer version of CC or AdAware prog. I have noticed with CC it doesn't now clear out all the rubbish and has started leaving a stuff behind everytime I run the cleaner, needless to say it's the same files every time... (internet logs\ZAlog.txt 0.15MB)

brundle 07:32 02 Jan 07

Zonealarm creates a log every day I think, unless you
change the options yourself, CCleaner won't be able to remove it if it's in use at the time.

Hit ctrl-alt-del for Task Manager while the virus scan is running - see if there is another task competing or conflicting with the AVG scanner.
Do other kinds of scans take longer than usual? Antispyware scans for example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…