Is AVG supposed to monitor incoming?

ened 07:25 17 Apr 04

..because last night I had a problem and ran a complete test. I had only run a teston Thursday after an update.
It found 6 different types of Virus.
Should it not have prevented them frombeing downloaded in the first place?

georgemac 08:01 17 Apr 04

it scans incoming emails for viruses. It must always be up to date to catch the new viruses, and as with any anti virus software, there will be a period from when a new virus appears when then is no protection, until the signature files are available to protect against it.

Open AVG resident shield by double clicking on the icon in the system tray.

Ensure that on resident shield tab all 3 check virus boxes are ticked, and also tick use heuristics as this may help find new virusues or suspicious files.

On the email scanner tab, check all boxes.

If you have broadband set the automatic update to check daily.

Many of the virus infections are now caused by trojans which do not eneter your system via email, but from a web page through an open port on your connection, which is not protected by your AV software. To protect against this you need a firewall.

Sygate, and zone alarm are free for perosnal use and both will protect you. If you have bb and have a router, it should have a hardware firewall to protect you.

ened 13:13 17 Apr 04

Thanks for all that georgemac
I have checked all your points and everything is in order.
One thing: I am using Zone Alarm and it is configured to allow Kazaa and another p2p programme access.
Do you know if it leaves thos particular ports open even when the programme is not running?
The viruses from last night were Trojans and Diallers.
Presumably the diallers will not bother me as I am using broadband.

Cuddles 13:17 17 Apr 04

I am aware of similar problems, try sygate firewall instead of zonealarm.

lamda 13:46 17 Apr 04

into my postings

Djohn 14:35 17 Apr 04

Don't forget to tick the IE5 plug-in to ensure that incoming/outgoing mails is scanned. It still says "Outlook Express 5" but works with IE 6 as well.

Wes Tam ;-) 15:48 17 Apr 04

"Presumably the diallers will not bother me as I am using broadband" as long as you're not still connected to the telephone line in order to fax etc.

ened 18:06 17 Apr 04

Wes Tam ;-)affirmative

Smiler 18:14 17 Apr 04

Agree with Djohn if you don't tick the IE5 plug in avg won't scan the emails. As he says it works with IE6 as well.

Mikè 18:30 17 Apr 04

I think that one reason why people ask about avg and incoming emails, is that incoming emails are not certified as scanned. In outlook express 6 anyway.
P.S does IE5/6 have an email client?

Mikè 18:31 17 Apr 04

I think that one reason why people ask about avg and incoming emails, is that incoming emails are not certified as scanned. In outlook express 6 anyway.
P.S does IE5/6 have an email client?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…