AVG stuck on scan hangs at 28% scanning registry

bionicle 18:49 24 Jan 15

AVG free is stuck whenever it scans and gets to C:\windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll . I have tried System restore and uninstalled and reinstalled AVG but it always sticks there. I have windows 7 64bit. Have tried sfc which reported some corrupt files but could not fix them. Any ideas how to proceed?

themariner 21:52 26 Jan 15

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with AVG Free on my Windows 7 64 bit PC for the last week. AVG hangs at 28% while scanning the registry, becomes unresponsive and the scan cannot be stopped or the program shut down. I have run a reinstall and repair, but it makes no difference. Other antivirus programs run fine and detect no malware. It looks like a bug in AVG.

bionicle 22:58 27 Jan 15

THanks for your post themariner. I was getting a bit paranoid but online anti-virus scans and malawarebytes came up clean. So looks like an AVG bug. Obviously need a working antivirus so my solution has been to completely remove AVG (needed to download an AVG uninstaller from AVG to do this) and am now using Avast free anti-virus.

AlanOinFrance 08:57 28 Jan 15

I am having the same issue for the last 4 days. Immediately on start up my AVG paid for version begins a 'scheduled' scan (but there is nothing in the scheduler) and only a restart will kill the process. I'll refer it to AVG support but I'm not hopeful of an early solution as I've found them long winded and ineffective in the past. In the meantime, I'll change over to Avast free too.

Forum Editor 09:36 28 Jan 15

Type your filename into a Google search - you'll find the answer there.

MitchHellman 03:16 01 Feb 15

> Type your filename into a Google search - you'll find the answer there.

Forum Editor, that's a bit cryptic. Could you do us all a favor and post either a link to your search results, or a link to the appropriate site where the answer can be found?

I am having the exact same issue: AVG Internet Security 2015, Windows 7 Pro with SP1, and am experiencing the same symptoms i.e. hanging at 28% while scanning the Registry and the current object is C:\windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll.

Here's hoping that somebody at AVG is periodically scanning the interwebz and sees that they've got a problem...

rdave13 11:07 01 Feb 15

If you've used the TuneUp feature have a look here.

MitchHellman 20:49 01 Feb 15

rdave13: The link you posted doesn't appear to be useful. First, I don't think a virus scan acts the same as a disk check for errors; and second, the procedure outlined in the link only serves to stop the disk check-- it doesn't do anything to fix the problem causing the hang.

MitchHellman 04:23 02 Feb 15

Further to my post immediately above, I ran the PC TuneUP disk check and did not experience the hang mentioned in the link referenced by rdave13...but I continue to have the hang with AVG as described by the OP.

I hope that AVG will see enough posts on this issue that they decide to address it. Are you listening, AVG???

john bunyan 09:30 02 Feb 15

MitchHellman

Switch to free Avast!!

AlanOinFrance 10:20 02 Feb 15

I did 'report' this problem to AVG via their Community Forum and I could see myself that others were reporting the same problem too. Neither their posts nor mine has received any response whatsoever from the "AVG Professionals" who (supposedly) monitor the site. I am indeed now on Avast free but am understandably a bit miffed that I am paying for AVG but cannot use it for scans !

If I see eventually see a response from AVG I will post it on this forum (but don't go holding your breath in the meantime....)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…