AVG stops outgoing email from different ISP

westwit 23:27 02 Feb 05

I have two email accounts with different ISPs - one broadband (f2s) and one dialup (onetel). It used not to matter which ISP I had used to connect, I could still send and receive mail from both accounts, using Outlook Express . Since installing AVG, while I receive mail OK on both accounts, I have been unable to send a message from one account if I am connected via the other ISP. This is annoying, because I use the onetel account for all online shopping etc, keeping the f2s one scam-free for personal emails If I try to send an email from the onetel account when I am on f2s broadband (or vice versa) I get the message:

"This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

[email protected]: 5.7.1 ... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed []"

I have tried disabling AVG's check on outgoing mail but that doesn't make any difference. Does anyone know if this can be sorted, or do I have to live with it?

GBL 09:17 03 Feb 05

I don't understand why you are using Dail up when you have Broadband, I no longer use Dial up and have the lead disconnected for security reasons.

I would have thought that you can access both accounts without any problem from the one connection. It is some time since I did that but one was with both Freeserve and Tiscalli but only ever used the one connection.

Stuartli 10:31 03 Feb 05

The reason you cannot Return e-mails from your other ISP is, most likely, because you have failed to alter the ISP from which it was originally received in the menu box.

I have both Tiscali and Pipex dialup accounts. All mail is collected and sent via Tiscali.

If I wish to return a Pipex e-mail I have to alter my e-mail address to the Pipex version from the drop down menu's From: address bar.

Otherwise Tiscali's STMP server just rejects it...:-)

It's nothing to do with AVG's e-mail scanning, just a matter of configuring an e-mail correctly.

westwit 10:32 03 Feb 05

I only occasionally use dialup (my line is a long way from the exchange and broadband is occasionally flaky), but I keep both email accounts for anti-spam reasons. Using the f2s broadband connection I can't send an email from my onetel (dialup) account, although I can receive my mail from both accounts no matter which ISP I am logged into. Is it a question of an ISP not allowing mail to be sent from any different ISP's connection?

Stuartli 10:32 03 Feb 05

There can be good reasons to have both broadband and dialup ISPs available - sending and receiving faxes is just one example.

westwit 19:09 03 Feb 05

Yes, I am selecting the relevant email address in the drop down "From" box. I think you may be right about it not being AVG though, as I guess that AVG is just acting as a kind of filtering post box between me and the outside world.

Does anyone else with multiple email accounts have this problem?

westwit 22:30 03 Feb 05

Stuartli 09:54 04 Feb 05

Some possible help:

click here

click here

click here

If you are using ZoneAlarm, try Adding avgnet.exe and avginet.exe from the AVG7 folder using ZA's Add button in Program Control (via ZA's Browse button).

westwit 17:14 04 Feb 05

The only one of these links I understand is about ticking the "My server requires authentication" box. I have tried this and it still doesn't work - although I get a slightly different rejection message:

"This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

Receive: : An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (10054)

I'm not using ZoneAlarm, just AVG and the Windows XP SP2 firewall.

Stuartli 17:53 04 Feb 05

I would disable the Windows Firewall after installing ZoneAlarm Free (click here) as it is not as efficient as other firewalls.

number69 19:36 04 Feb 05

Ihave various e mail accounts freeserve / beeb supanet etc. I receive and send all via Tiscali.
The incoming pop box must be pop3.beeb.co or freeserve.co etc but the outgoing box for all accounts has to be smtp.tiscali.co.uk for ALL acounts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…