AVG slows down my PC.

Little Davel 19:41 24 May 06

I have been quite happy with AVG Free Edition. But from time to time it does slow my PC down and do strange things. In the last couple of days my machine has slowed down to a mega crawl which made me concerned it was a memory/HD failure.My PC acts as if the RAM is fully occupied and Word, for example, takes several minutes to load. At first I thought it was hardware failure or a virus/trojan. But AVG keeps telling me that the resident shield is not functioning/loaded and when I try to activate AVG it indicates that nothing is scanned, no viruses found but plenty of reading errors have occured.... in other words AVG is not doing its job other than as an email scanner. It has given me a Runtime Error and it is trying to terminate Runtime in an 'unusual way - Virtual memory minimum is too low. ' Anyone else had this problem ? Any thoughts please ? Slightly worried !

Totally-braindead 19:45 24 May 06

I've never had this problem. What I would do is download a new copy of AVG free to the desktop, go offline delete AVG and then reinstall from the new download and then update it and run a full virus scan.

Little Davel 22:57 24 May 06

many thanks will try

johnnyrocker 23:45 24 May 06

avg has not in the number of years i have had it ever produced such an issue. i would tend to ask what anti spyware you are running and how you are able to attribute it to avg?

johnny.

Little Davel 00:22 25 May 06

I have now removed my old copy of AVG and downloaded/installed a fresh copy. I am seeing an improvement already. I use spybot and spywareblaster and regularly use A2 anti trojan and spyware scanner.

johnnyrocker 00:26 25 May 06

add adaware and spyware blaster or even windows defender.

johnny.

Little Davel 00:35 25 May 06

Adaware stops half way through on my system - for some reason....heard good things about defender !

Totally-braindead 00:46 25 May 06

I have to agree with johnnyrocker I've never heard of this problem and certainly never seen it myself. Also you mention adaware stopping half way through, that is suspicious as well. I've had adaware on 3 of my own PCs including this one and have never had a problem with it such as you are describing.
I would be a bit concerned and try to trace this. As far as I'm concerned there is something not quite right though I am glad that the deleting/reinstalling has certainly helped.
Free for 15 days try Counterspy and see if that finds anything the others have missed click here

Little Davel 08:18 25 May 06

I have had some quite strange things occur which happen after an AVG download and disappear after another download is installed (I update daily !) I will try out your suggestion on Counterspy. Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…