avg says I,m clear avast says I have a virus

Newuser2 19:35 05 Mar 04

I run both avg & avast, I have been sent some strange emails lately all abvoiusly containing a virus all of which I deleted without opening.
I did a full scan with both avg & avast, avg says no virus's while avst says I have
win32:nesky-D(Wm)
I am confused is avast being over cautious or do I have a virus.
Any help of advice very greatfully recieved.

LastChip 19:44 05 Mar 04

click here and look at the top part of the page describing the Registry entry it produces. (in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)

Now check your Registry for that entry, If it's not there, your clean.

Jester2K 19:44 05 Mar 04

"I run both avg & avast" - Not a good idea...

Where does AVAST say this virus is?

cycoze 19:46 05 Mar 04

have a look in your registry for this entry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ICQ Net
= <WINDOWS>\winlogon.exe -stealth .

If the above entry is there its a sure sign your machine is infected .

Not familiar with Avast , but you dont run two AV`s on the same machine do you ? as they can conflict with each other .

More info on Netsky can be found click here , there is a removal tool on this page.

Belatucadrus 20:09 05 Mar 04

Some AV packages have heuristic packages that can give false warnings for virus like activity, but as avast! has specifically named the virus variant it's found, it is unlikely to be being "over cautious" I would think the virus is there. avast! updates the moment you connect to the internet then checks for updates every four hours after, so is likely to have the latest pattern files, believe it. As cycoze says running two AV packages is potentially hazardous, when they clash the consequences can be very unpleasant.

Newuser2 21:14 05 Mar 04

Guys thanks for the replies.
I've just run avast's virus cleaner application & it say's I'm virus free.
All's well that ends well.
I'll sleep happy thinking of all the very unpleasant things I would do to these idiot virus writers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…