AVG Removes Email Attachment from Livebox Send

timfi 09:08 10 Jun 08

Until recently I have been receivbing emails plus attachments from a particular address. Since he has installed a livebox the attachments have been removed by AVG version 8. The emails plus attachments can be recieved on a PC with McAfee VirusScan and the attachment shows no virus infection. I have tried tweaking AVG but with no luck. Both systems are using XP Pro one with SP3 and the other with SP2. The SP3 has Norton antivirus software installed.

Please can anyone help?

Technotiger 09:20 10 Jun 08

Perhaps the sender with the Livebox needs to adjust his Security settings ...

How do I change the security settings of my Livebox?

Remember: It is STRONGLY advised to use a wired ethernet connection to do this. If you change the settings using a wireless connection, you will be disconnected once the changes have been applied. If you have any wireless devices that are configured to connect to the Livebox already, please bare in mind that you will need to re-configure these devices again to connect to the Livebox.

* Log onto the Livebox configuration screen, either by opening a browser and typing in 192.168.1.1, or by double clicking on "Configure The Livebox" on your desktop.
* Type in the username and password for the Livebox (NOT your broadband account) and click OK.
The default values here are "admin" and "admin" for both the username and password.
* Navigate through the menu on the left:
Configuration -> Advanced -> Wireless
* You will be presented with four different "radio button" options:
o WPA or WEP security
o WPA security only
o WEP security
o No security
* Select the one that you want (or need) and then click on "Submit".
* On the next screen, click the "Apply the configuration now" button, and the Livebox will reboot itself. Once it has rebooted, your changes will take effect.

timfi 08:37 11 Jun 08

Thank you for your reply and advice. Being relatively new to the world of WEP and WPA, what settings need to be changed or is it pot luck. Also why would the sender need to change his settings and not the recipient?

Technotiger 08:48 11 Jun 08

Because you said - Since he has installed a livebox - therefore I am assuming everything was ok previous to that, which is what makes me think the 'problem' is at his end.

What follows is from another Forum, found via Google ........

You can set the livebox to only use the WPA option but the default on the livebox is using both WEP and WPA, To change this to WPA only then open up an internet explorer window. in the address bar goto 192.168.1.1 and this will take you to the config pages. there will be a link on that first page say ' access to the configuration pages.....' click this then you will get a pop screen asking for a username and password: in these typed 'admin' <username and 'admin' < password, now you will be taken to the main config page, on the left hand side you will have 5 options click on configuration > then click Advanced > then Wireless > you will now have the option to chnage the security setting. change to needed option then submit then wait about 5 minutes then try again.

timfi 16:02 13 Jun 08

I obviously did not frame my question correctly. I fully understand why you locked in on the livebox and fully agree with your logic. What I did not understand was how the security/WEP/WPA settings would mean an attachment being blocked by AVG, at the other end (i.e. the receiver of the email, who is not on livebox). By the way the sender has now informed me that he upgraded to SP3 for his XP. He is also running Norton, which I understand had a couple of problems with SP3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…