AVG problems+program to open files+Nero substitute

Zerogravity 11:25 07 Mar 09

I have downloaded and installed AVG free version on my Samsung NC10 netbook.
Now it seemed that I could not update the antivirus for a couple of days now, it just get stuck then after a while tells me that the connection failed, then revert to say that everything is active and up to date, but I am sure that it's not the case because I am running the same (paid for) version on my main PC and there are updates everyday.
When I run Samsung Magic Doctor it is telling me that I have no Antivirus installed on the netbook.
Does that mean that I have a corrupt version of AVG and that I have to uninstalled the antivirus and download it again?

I had to open a .RAR file yesterday but had no programs to open it (and couldn't find a free program to download for that particular file).
I remember having the same problem with my new PC and am sure that I will have problems opening other files until I download the programs to open the most used files.
Where can I find those programs?

Nero 7 was offered as a trial software. I don't particularly like paying for it.
Is there a free software that is as good or near as good as Nero (and not too complicated)that I can download and use instead of Nero?

Sea Urchin 11:59 07 Mar 09
  Sea Urchin 12:03 07 Mar 09

And to open .rar files you can use free 7-zip

click here

Sea Urchin 12:10 07 Mar 09

If AVG misses an update then when it next successfully updates the program will be brought up to date. And Magic Doctor may well not recognise AVG as an AV program - this is not uncommon. Check in your Security Center (in Control Panel) for your AV status.

Zerogravity 12:28 07 Mar 09

Thanks, will do.
Do I need to download other programs for other files?
I remember when my PC was new, it was teliing me that it had no programs to open about all the different files I did encounter at the beginning.

Sea Urchin 12:37 07 Mar 09

"Do I need to download other programs for other files?"

Unfortunately that's too general a question to answer, until you know just what files you might be talking about. If you face a problem then come back to the forum, and I'm sure somebody will be able to help you.

Zerogravity 12:43 07 Mar 09

I've checked my Security Centre and it says that the Antivirus is on and AVG is up to date.
I find it strange, as I said I have the paid for version on my PC, and it downloads every day. Even if there are more features in the paid for version, when there isn't any updates it just tells me that the updates were successful, and don't tell me, like in the free version, that the connection has failed and to check that I am connected to the internet.
Can I trust then that my netbook is truly protected now?

Sea Urchin 13:03 07 Mar 09

There are also downloads every day for the free version - in fact often more than one - but as I said before if an update fails then on the next successful time it will be brought up to date. You can always manually update it if you wish. Believe what's in your Security Center.

Zerogravity 13:20 07 Mar 09

Thanks for your help Sea Urchin, I hate new PCs, it takes me ages to set them up how I want them to be, and get everything I need for them to function properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…