AVG Problems

wsdxh09 02:36 29 Jan 04

Cry for help..downloaded AVG 6 last week, now and after I download latest version, or do a complete virus scan, I have to re boot 6/7 times to get rid of freeze.
Running win 98,Adaware,Spybot,Cw shredder,Hijack this,Diskeeper lite and an old version of Norton cleansweep, also have mailwasher which has stopped working since AVG 6 was loaded.
After booting up, desktop loads with icons ok, then hour glass cursor freezes, tried ctrl/alt/del this tells me various files/progs are not responding, but won't close them,so have to reboot/reset again eg..pwr32mgt,pixelpwr32,avgcc32,the most common ones being incd,csin32 and csusem32.
Sorry if I am not explaining this very well.

Djohn 02:46 29 Jan 04

When you use Ctr/alt/del to show running programs it sometimes take 2 or 3 clicks on each one to end the program. Try this again and see if you can close down some of your running programs. Then by a process of elimination find the one/s causing the problem.

If the above does not help, then boot your PC in safe mode and do an AVG scan from there. I think that AVG will still work from safe mode.

Also because you have AVG running, make sure from going into your BIOS that you don't have a DOS version of "anti-virus" program running as this will cause a conflict with AVG.

Noels 08:35 29 Jan 04

wsdxh09 I had the full version of Adware installed and ran it with all its components operational. I then installed AVG 7 and had similar problems to the ones you describe. I then uninstalled Adware and the problems dissapeared. This led me to believe that Adware stopped the complete installation of AVG causing these problems. I didn,t bother to reinstall Adware as I have other similar programmes installed that have similar functions.

It may be worth a try. Uninstalling Adware / reinstalling AVG then reinstalling Adware to see what happens. Regards Noels

wsdxh09 23:00 29 Jan 04

Djohn..thanks, tried that (clicking a few times)although it did not seem to respond nor bring up the closing progs window, however it did allow me to reboot by ctrl/alt del and no freeze at second boot up.

wsdxh09 23:01 29 Jan 04

Noels..thanks thats my next move,will let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…