AVG Problem

The Learner 09:57 01 Apr 09

AVG (free)is scheduled to run daily at noon but takes two hours to do a virus check. While it is doing that my laptop is niegh useless. It has an AMD Sempron with 512mb RAM and that probably doesn't help. Any solutions?

scotty 10:11 01 Apr 09

In my opinion, a daily check is overkill. I have this disabled and only occassionally run a check which I start manually, when it suits me.

birdface 10:14 01 Apr 09

512mb RAM and that probably doesn't help. Any solutions? best solution is to turn on computer scanner.Change scan settings.Move the Slider to the right [fast scan.]Then Additional scan settings.Tick shut down computer upon scan completion.Then go for a walk.have your dinner.Go shopping do what you want it will run the scan and shut down your computer when finished.A great little tool.make sure you do not have scanner set to run at a certain time.Disable it.You can change the slider to slow scan;[Fully left]It all depends how long you are going to be away from your computer.

The Learner 10:20 01 Apr 09

Thanks Scotty. I suppose a the end of the day it is still monitoring so perhaps a weekly manual check may be the way forward?

Graphicool1 10:22 01 Apr 09

I use my PC during the day to do my work. If I want to run Virus, Spyware, Malware checks or the like, I run them at the end of my working day. When I'm taking time out from the PC. I think of it as chill time. When I wind down before retiring for the night.

The Learner 10:29 01 Apr 09

Thanks all. I think the theme is that scanners are resouce hungry and best to run them when not needing to do anything else on the PC?

^wave^ 11:42 01 Apr 09

i use avg and i run a weekly scan

Graphicool1 12:05 01 Apr 09

If you think your question has been answered, can you please close down this thread :¬]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…