AVG Pro - Concerns

Supertramp 17:22 25 Jul 05

Just recently I had a couple of problems with my PC. i.e. MSConfig would close on opening and my Dial Up Connection box would appear immediately once Win98 had installed.

I have AVG Pro installed and is updated daily or as soon as updates are available, I also run Spybot & Spywareblaster. I scanned my drives with AVG to see if a virus was causing the problems highlighted above but nothing was found, a couple of problems were found with Spybot but the problems continued.

I then ran the online Panda virus checker and to my surprise 16 references of various W32 Spybot viruses were found and cleaned, upon rebooting the PC everything was working perfectly.

Why did not AVG detect these viruses? I have emailed them but nothing from them as yet. I don't think I'll be renewing my license next year.

rawprawn 17:52 25 Jul 05

As far as I am aware W32 Spybot is spyware and not a virus. I don't use AVG Pro but unless it has aprogram that scans for spyware integrated, it will not find it. I suggest you load Spybot. Adaware. & Microsoft Antisyware.All of these look for spyware.

Supertramp 18:14 25 Jul 05

As I mentioned in my message, I have Spybot installed also Ad-Aware and none of these found these items. And they are loaded with the latest updates.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:30 25 Jul 05

AVG will not (like many other AVs) scan for spyware. W32 spybot is a worm NOT a virus and you have it because you (inadvertently maybe) executed the command. It is often found in Kazaa and other P2P applications. If you use these applications you will get hit because you are effectively giving the file permission to install. You wouldn't be downloading music from Kazaa perchance?

G

Supertramp 18:48 25 Jul 05

Thanks for the info. No I do not have Kazaa installed and no I do not download music etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…