'AVG PC Tune up'-worth it or not please?

buel 13:17 04 Nov 10

Hello.
Please can i ask a question- My mother has recently had 'AVG PC Tune up' installed on her PC. Apparently it is a one off 'scan' and it is now asking for a fee for 'lifetime subscription'.
Please can you tell me how this 'Tune up' can be any better than what she usually uses for maintenance, ie- AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner and Defraggler. She also performs a disk check once a week.

rawprawn 13:18 04 Nov 10

She really doesn't need it, what she has should be just fine.

GaT7 13:41 04 Nov 10

As rawprawn says, what she has already should be more than good enough. I only use AVG (antivirus) out of the ones you listed & my system runs like a dream. I do a manual clean instead of using Ccleaner, as I find it a bit overzealous. G

GaT7 13:55 04 Nov 10

As you can tell, I'm not into using to many third-party programs to protect/maintain my PC, but if they're free I guess they're worth a try :-).

In this vein, I'd suggest the free Ashampoo WinOptimizer 6. It was a free giveaway at GotD a few months ago click here, but one can now get it for good directly from Ashampoo: click here & enter code ASH-444LW1 to get it, as well as the other freebies listed there.

Above link & code is courtesy of PCA member Lazarus The 2nd as posted in this recent thread click here. G

961 14:30 04 Nov 10

In a word

No

Nontek 14:43 04 Nov 10

This one in particular is just a scam anyway - only after her money.

GaT7 14:58 04 Nov 10

None of AVG programs are scams. It's just a shareware program that has a one-off free scan. Its website click here, says 'Download a one-time fix' under QUICK LINKS, so the user knows the trial is a one-off only. G

buel 17:33 04 Nov 10

Thank you all, some brilliant help there!!

Jwbjnwolf 17:57 04 Nov 10

tell her to download the free version of auslogics registry booster as i had severe probs and this sorted it out, take a look
click here

GaT7 18:35 04 Nov 10

I wouldn't recommend running any more registry cleaners apart from the one in Ccleaner. If it's not broken....G

Ibanez2010 19:58 04 Nov 10

I agree with Crossbow7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…