AVG - Payware?

Hillwood 15:56 29 May 03

Not according to this which was found elsewhere.

""13 May
Trent McGee, Sales and Marketing Manager of Grisoft Australia,
addressed the Canberra branch of the PC User Group on March 31, and
advised that the free version of AVG virus protection was likely to be
converted to a paid product in the near future.
At this stage Grisoft have not publicised this on their website but
the move is anticipated soon.
A special offer was made to PCUG members for a limited time making the
single user Professional edition available for A$54.95.
It is not known what the non discount price will be."

Then on 23 May

"Hello David,
Thank you for your email. The Free Version of AVG will continue to be
supported. We have no intention of getting rid of the Free version of AVG,
so you will still be protected and will still get free updates.
Have a great day.
Lynn Pittman
Director US Operations
Grisoft Inc".

GroupFC 16:03 29 May 03

Is this a question of the left and right hand not knowing what the other is doing? Who knows?

Belatucadrus 17:37 29 May 03

I suspect as long as version 6 is current we're OK, wait to see when a new package comes out though. It could also be a regional thing, as they say " AVG 6.0 Free Edition offer is valid for all single home and non-commercial end users Worldwide" but it wasn't always this way, mainland European users used to be an exemption and had to pay. Anyway don't get too worried there are alternatives :- Avast 4 click here & Antivir click here are still free.

The Sack 19:13 29 May 03

The full version of AVG was only 15 quid anyway when Staples used to stock it.

Mango Grummit 20:07 29 May 03

See my posting on this thread

click here and there have been others too numerous to find at this moment.

The free version has been going down the tubes for a while now. No wonder really, it is, after all free. Updates on the free version are sound enough but often weeks behind other AVs on the market. If this was intended as a marketing ploy to encourage people to buy the "full" version then it was bound to fail.

I have noticed that despite several warning shots across the bow on this forum as long as six months ago some members not only still use it but promote its use to new members to the forum.

I admit to using the free version for a long time but then discovered that I had been infected for an equally long time. When I mentioned this on a a couple of threads several months ago the threads then stopped and since then the same thing has happened quite often to other threads where the warning has been posted (not by me).

It's like saying -- "Don't tell me bad news about Grisoft's AVG, I don't want to hear."

The fully paid for version may or may not be sound. I don't know because I have not used it. If it is updated daily (more or less) then it may be.

I try not to give advice about what is "best" because I don't know but I do know if something has worked for me or not .. and AVG Free certainly has not, and I like others, relied on it.

Parker21 20:32 29 May 03

For what it's worth, I have been using AVG for 3 years and in that time it has picked up several viruses. I haven't been infected and haven't any reason to complain.

As they say, you get what you pay for and it is free after all.

Ironman556 20:44 29 May 03

I must've been busy around the time the warning threads were posted, I've never knew that. But AVG does protect against the majority of attacks.

Should I try another? But then you'd probably get the same things with other free AV's; you get what you pay for, and at least some protection is better than none. I bought McAffee a while ago, which was a waste of £30, as it was soon uninstalled and is now sitting in the cupboard.

1) It often crashed my system on boot and slowed the computer down significantly

2) McAffee weren't content with a one-off payment, but after 6 months (or whatever length of time) they then tell people that they can subscribe for things and have to pay again to donwload the latest update for the engine. There was a free update to the next version, but it was not made obvious that there was a time to download within, and when I went to download I found out they'd changed the site so I couldn't get it.

There's probably nothing wrong with it for most people, it's just I had a bad experiance, which also makes me wary of buying Norton, as I know several people who've put it on their PC to clear somthing up and they've ended up losing everything instead.

leo49 21:06 29 May 03

Scaremongering balderdash.

-pops- 21:11 29 May 03

Don't be shy, say what you mean<;-))

leo49 21:23 29 May 03

Ah, but if I did that I'd get a yellow card from the ref. :o)

BBez 21:28 29 May 03

won't sweat it until we do have to pay. Might never happen :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…