AVG Outlook Express 5 Plugin

jz 18:40 04 Oct 04

I installed the free version of AVG V6 anti-virus software on my PC many months ago and it has never caused me any problems. Today, howeber, Outlook Express stopped working. When I run OE, it partially starts up, but then the hour glass appears and stays, and my email messages do not appear (including the old ones). I fixed the problem by unticking the 'Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin' on the 'Email Scanner' tab of AVG Control Center. I've left everything else on this tab ticked.

What does the OE5 Plugin do? Actually, I have OE6, not OE5, with Windows XP. How much more vulnerable am I to viruses by unticking the Plugin? Before things stopped working today, I've always found that using the Plugin slows down the display of old emails in other folders when I click on them in the Folder window (eg Inbox, Sent Items), so does it just re-check all the old emails in the folder that I click on for viruses that have been checked before when they were first received?

Patr100 18:50 04 Oct 04

I think all it does is stamp outgoing emails with :

"Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (click here).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: XXXX - Release Date: XXXX"

jz 20:46 04 Oct 04

I think that's what ticking "Certify Outgoing Messages" does, which I have ticked. The four things that I have ticked are...

Check Incoming Messages
Certify Incoming Messages
Check Outgoing Messages
Certify Outgoing Messages

MAJ 20:51 04 Oct 04

It certainly doesn't check incoming mail. I replaced AVG with Avast4 a few months ago because of that and the viruses/trojans it was missing.

fsbb 22:56 04 Oct 04

Click here click here

shazza65 18:53 25 Oct 04

I currently run Windows XP and Office 2000.

I don't very often use my Outlook Express but tried it today and got a message as follows:

OUTLOOK EXE - NO DISK

X There is not disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddiski\DR2

Options are to Cancel/Try Again/Continue

Does anyone know what this means?

Just as back up info, I run AVG 6.0 Anitvirus and freeebie Zone Alarm firewall - not sure if this makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…