AVG or Norton

boybrown 19:24 17 Nov 03

Hi,

I've previously used Norton Antivirus on our computer, however after reading a couple of posts here on the site I thought that I would give AVG a try (it was recommended as being less resource demanding). However when I have given the trial period a go it seems that you can only configure AVG to protect one e-mail client, as there is two of us with two separate e-mail accounts am I doing something wrong or does AVG only protect one account?

What do you all think, is AVG a good bet or go back to NORTON?

john-232317 19:39 17 Nov 03

I have 4 or 5 accounts on mine and no problems yet.

Avg scans all incomining and outgoing mails...

john-232317 19:43 17 Nov 03

Incoming even....;-)

spuds 19:53 17 Nov 03

AVG shouldn't be a problem, you should be able to cover all the email accounts.

plsndrs3 20:02 17 Nov 03

all with email accounts. As dadyassa says, AVG scans the incoming mail when it is received to the computer from whatever account.

I have posted elswhere that I used a commercial package [Systemsuite] before AVG, but I have also used Nortona/v & Norton Utilities. To be fair, Norton looks nice and has various good options [specific file or program checking, for example] but do you need all the bangs & whistles? AVG will scan every exe file open opening and can be used to scan certain individual files by right-clicking.

Said it once, and I'll say it again - AVG is the better product [for me]. Less system hungry on almost all resources, looks OK, free updates. Does exactly what it says on the webpage!

At the end of the day though you need to use an anti-virus that you like & feel comfortable with as this is more likely to increase it's use particularly for update purposes & your knowledge of it & it's limitations.

Regards,

Paul

plsndrs3 20:05 17 Nov 03

" However when I have given the trial period" AVG is free for personal use with no trial period?

Rtus 20:09 17 Nov 03

AVG7 has a trial period I believe ..Just Checking >>>B.S

Rtus 20:11 17 Nov 03

click here

Im on the free version..AVG6

gold 47 20:15 17 Nov 03

AVG is good but never auto updates even if it is set todo so unless someone tells me otherwise and i run the pro version with XP.

plsndrs3 20:16 17 Nov 03

I'm with you Rtus, version 6.

But if they have a 'free trial' are the makers looking to charge in future - and what about updates?

Paul

Rtus 20:18 17 Nov 03

Oh forgot to say I and 28 other units Ive put it on use in several multiple email accounts & have never come unstuck with it.Only problems Ive been called to with avg its due to not updating the virus database..I cant say the same for norton.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…