AVG and OE Email

pppc 12:14 30 Jun 07

A friend has asked for help - she cannot receive email with Outlook Express. This is a recently developed fault. She is running AVG as her anti virus - I recently installed AVG on my machine (having recommended it to my daughter I felt I ought to see how it worked myself). After un-installing it and reverting to PANDA my OE packed up, but I sorted it out by completely uninstalling AVG. I suspect my friend's problem may have something to do with her anti-virus; can any one suggest a solution? (She is running W98; I have not yet seen the problem so have no details.

p;3 12:22 30 Jun 07

a few more details might help as to who is her ISP, with whom is her email

also win 98se( is in win 98 or se she has?) works ok with avg ; does she have the avg 7.5 version ?

Guardianangel 12:27 30 Jun 07

I have OE as one of the exceptions to my firewall.

pppc 14:25 30 Jun 07

p;3 Sorry - she has 98SE. ISP = OneTel (TalkTalk??) I have no other info but I am going to have a look myself shortly.

Gaurdianangel Is there a firewall with the Free AVG?? - If so, how does one manage it??

Many thanks to both for interest

P

Totally-braindead 14:34 30 Jun 07

There is no firewall built into AVG, if you want one you need to download one, I personally use zone alarm free but theres many others.
AVG don't provide support per se for AVG free but they do have a Forum click here perhaps your problem is listed there?

iscanut 14:35 30 Jun 07

No firewall with the free AVG anti vir !

fillythebish 14:48 30 Jun 07

I use AVG and never had a problem with Outlook Express email. Could something in settings or maybe AVG is conflicting with another software and causing the problem

Simsy 15:35 30 Jun 07

but I'm open to correction, that the latest version of AVG, (7.5), doesn't work with Win98... it needs XP.

I repeat I'm open to correction!

Regards,

Simsy

Guardianangel 17:44 30 Jun 07

I use the windows Firewall but not 98se, XP.

p;3 23:24 03 Jul 07

I presume you have not yet seem the comp in question?

pppc 08:15 04 Jul 07

Hi

The problem was fairly easily solved - she had inadvertently changed a setting in AVG's scanning emails section.

Many thanks to all for your interest and help - I was away for a couple of days

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant