AVG not doing the business?

pjwheeldon 23:21 27 Aug 04

Anyone else found that AVG misses some virus? As a matter of interest ran pcpitstop virus check and found 17 versions of Exploit ByteVerify sitting happily on system. Ran AVG: nothing. Re-ran it but this time pointed it to the precise file in which the virus was sitting: still nothing. Checked virus definitions on the website and they did not even include ByteVerify.

CurlyWhirly 01:11 28 Aug 04

Exploit ByteVerify is a trojan not a virus as explained at click here
and most anti-virus programs deal with viruses not trojans.
Why not try either anti-spyware or anti-trojan software alongside AVG?

pjwheeldon 01:36 28 Aug 04

Thanks for the response. Ran Ad Aware and Spyhunter first; neither picked them up. Also Symantec does record it as a virus, but obviously don't want to use Norton AV if I can possibly avoid it!

In the end got rid by scanning via PCPitstop, deleting the offending items, then running Ad Aware in safe mode to identify the reg key and deleting that.

All clean again, but does I think serve as a reminder to myself and everyone out there that the various bits of software we pick up for free don't always protect us as fully as we would hope.

dagwoood 03:10 28 Aug 04

Pjwheeldon, if you had Spybot S&D on your system it would've found this exploit, as ByteVerify is one of the trojans it checks for.

Spybot is available from here click here

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

CurlyWhirly 07:48 28 Aug 04

It is true what you said as regards FREE anti-virus programs are generally NOT as good as paid for programs as the author doesn't have much incentive to keep the virus definitions up to date.
That is why I use PAID FOR products like McAfee.
'Dagwoood' is quite right as if you had had Spybot installed this would have picked it up.
By the way I was so impressed with Spybot that I chose to make a small donation and this I feel is vital as if people don't voluntarily donate than the author MAY not bother with updates, etc.

johnsims 08:25 28 Aug 04

The fact that the UPS didn't kick in is a worry. Install the Powerchute software as per Bretsky's advice. This will enable you to at least do some trouble shooting as the UPS console will provide info on the state of the UPS and connection. Perhaps visit the APC site to get the latest version which is XP rated?

Are you sure you don't have the PC connected to the "surge protect only outlet" on the UPS?

johnsims 08:28 28 Aug 04

How the devil did this get here, I thought I posted to your other thread - STRANGE!

CurlyWhirly 19:17 28 Aug 04

Don't worry I think this site is having minor problems as some forum members mention that when they send an e-mail to another member using the yellow envelope it sometimes gets sent to the wrong person!
Still I expect the PCA people are working very hard to get these problems resolved.

canard 13:35 29 Aug 04

My paid for Norton missed several items including a very destructive worm. Probably none of the AV progs are 100%.

stalion 13:43 29 Aug 04

I have anti virus,adaware,spywareblaster installed and always end up with something on my system. which escan gets rid of

Eastender 14:24 29 Aug 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…