AVG in limbo

Diemmess 12:51 11 Mar 05

Paid a pastoral visit this morning to errant G/sons outfit. (3 W2000 systems)

On just one os, AVG is moribund. Updates are unsuccessful. AVG not listed in Add/Remove programs or in CClean

AVG present in Start/Programs but does not have Uninstaller option.

New installation fails with various errors.

Could and probably will simply delete everything in sight and comb the registry for left overs......... Anyone with a better idea?

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:28 11 Mar 05

As a new installation fails it sounds very much like a worm or trojan.

G

Diemmess 14:55 11 Mar 05

There are 3 (2K)systems E:to G: linked by HyperOS..... AVG will run (and update) on E:

After causing no excitement running AVG and Spybot, I found and fixed a long list with Ad-aware.

Switching to F: which had been the culprit anyway, revived ZoneAlarm which had been disabled, and the rest you know.

At least if the whole thing goes silly I can (with HyperOs) restore F: from a good image. I will try the simple deletion approach first.

Somewhere recently, You offered advice on removing MS Messenger. Can you repeat that here please?

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:04 11 Mar 05

click here to remove windows messenger and to remove MS Messenger.........click here

G

Diemmess 15:11 11 Mar 05

Thanks.

Diemmess 18:41 11 Mar 05

The MS Messenger is the thing but the OS is 2000 and the reference seems not to apply! No sign of the line in that folder.

I wish I could backtrack and trace the right place in W2000 (rather than XP) but haven't found it. The computer is 3 miles away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…